GO!

Diarrhea - possibly from rabbit droppings

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rubee

Rubee - where's the- bird?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 12:26pm PST 
My older dog Lucee started with diarrhea last Friday night with horrendous gas and straining and blood drops from the straining. I took her to the vet and she had an x-ray (no obstruction) so she got a shot and put on Metron antibiotic twice a day and a rice diet. It has been helping. Her stools are soft but no more straining or blood.

She hadn't gotten into anything that we knew of and her food and treats had not changed. The vet thinks she may have gotten her problems from her bad habit of eating rabbit droppings. We have a fenced yard and three dogs. You would think the rabbits would go elsewhere, but they hide under our shed. Our dogs are hunting dogs and they regularly chase and have killed the rabbits in the past but not recently. The rabbits always come back even after one has been killed. (they are not the brightest animals)

Today Rubee started with diarrhea. She also loves to eat rabbit droppings. Our vet is not in today, but we called and were told to put her on the rice diet too and if she doesn't improve, bring her into the office tomorrow for treatment.

Has anyone else run into issues from their dog eating rabbit droppings? Does anyone have any sure fire ways to get rid of the rabbits? We live in a suburban setting so we can't shoot them.
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 1:47pm PST 
Hm, my old dog, Rudy, and all my friend's dogs have eaten rabbit poop. Of course, they were healthy and domesticated...just seems the dogs love to eat them.

They can carry coccidia for sure and something called mucoid enteritis but I have heard nothing of it transmitting to other species.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/intern al-parasites-rabbits.aspx

That lists some but again, I am not sure which would transmit. Hopefully someone else has answers or you can ask a vet.
[notify]
Tucker

A tail that can- clear a table

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 5:27pm PST 
When Tucker was about 9 mos. old, he had an awful bout of diarrhea. Poor guy was so good; he'd hold it and make sure to get outside, which was so hard for him.

Turns out he had coccidia; vet said probably from eating rabbit poop in the field beside our yard. They put him on some meds (don't remember what), and it cleared up.

Nasty stuff, coccidia.

I don't have any advice for getting rid of the rabbits. We have lots of them here, hopping around in the yard and field; we like having them around. I think Tucker probably eats some rabbit poop at times still, but it's not affecting him anymore....he's had no other diarrhea since that one episode.
[notify]

Nate

he's our angel- :)

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 5:58pm PST 
we have 3 dogs, a fenced yard & live in the suburbs however, rabbits still come into our yard as well!!!! our fence boards go right down to the ground however, the tinest of tiny space & the rabbits are in. we've used all kinds of things to ensure the rabbits can't push through & finally seem to have success as to keeping the out!!! cheerdancing
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 5:59pm PST 
someone else mentioned coccidia... if one had coccidia from eating rabbit droppings, and the other pup possibly ater her poop, that a great way to transmit coccidia...

usually with coccidia its dirrhea and vomiting, buster had it when he came home from the shelter... he was on meds and it was gone in a week or two... he was also on flor flora (or something like that) to help with the enzimes and bacteria in his intestines... if it is coccidia the only way it is passed is through eating poop of an infected animal....

hope you get anwseres whenyou go to the vet or gett o talkt o your vet smile
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 6:02pm PST 
Ugh, you're right about the rabbits being not so bright! We have a fenced yard, too, and every spring at least 3 rabbits move in and have their babies in our yard... you can only imagine how much fun that is for Ming and what a nightmare it is for me. confused

You didn't say in your post - did the vet do a fecal? It sounds like maybe Lucee had a "bug" of some sort that she's passed to Rubee.
[notify]
Beavis

My- life....2/6/94 - 7/29/08

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 7:50pm PST 
sorry to hear you are not feeling well however I doubt it has to do with the rabbit droppings. I eat them and I don't have any problems.

Also, a little bit of info to help educate you........Rabbits are very intelligent, they can be litter box trained, they love to play and socialize with the family, etc. For more information about rabbits and what great pets they make visit this site:

www.rabbit.org
[notify]
Rubee

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 5:43am PST 
Thanks for all the good info. As soon as the clinic opens I'll try to get Rubee in to see the doctor.

Beavis, I've had rabbits as pets too and they are wonderful pets. The domesticated ones seem to be smarter than the wild variety. I would think that a wild animal that's survival depends on avoiding prey animals would smell the strong scent of my three dogs and avoid the area. We once had a young rabbit that my first Vizsla would chase every day from the yard. Sometimes twice a day. It went on for a month and then one day the rabbit tried to fit through the fence only it had grown and was just a touch to big for the space in the fence and my dog got it. Why hadn't it learned to keep out of the dog's area after many days of close calls? Back then we didn't have the shed or any wood piles or anything that might have attacted this rabbit to our yard. I felt bad the rabbit met with such a gruesome death, but why had it kept coming back?

I'll keep you posted on what the vet does. I did bring a fecal sample to the vet when I brought Lucee in but she didn't give me any report on what it revealed.
[notify]
Rubee

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 10:08am PST 
Update---The stool sample came back negative for coccidia and giardia (sp?) which is good news. Rubee and Lucee have to finish out their Metron antibiotic and stay on their 90% rice diet for a couple days and then be gradually worked back to their normal diet of full dog food. Rubee is feeling much better now that she is on the antibiotic. Both Lucee and Rubee's stools are soft, but they are not straining. Lucee had a little mucous on the outside of her stool, not in it, which I brought for her vet to see and she said that that is normal given the irritation that she had in the bowel. Hopefully we will have no relapses once they are off the antibiotic and also Rikee won't start up with it.

Edited by author Fri Dec 7, '07 10:10am PST

[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 11:18am PST 
woo hooo no coccidia or the other one BOL

hope you are all feeling better soon!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2