GO!

Wart like bumps on mouth?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
RIP Brute

Got food?

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '07 3:48pm PST 
Hi all. Brute had a wart-like bump pop up about a week ago on his chin and since he has gotten about 5 more. I have heard this is common in bullmastiffs but I'm wondering what it is and what I can do to heal/prevent this from happening.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '07 5:21pm PST 
What kind of bowl is he eating out of?

If it's plastic, switch to stainless steel.

The plastic bowls harbor bacteria and allow it to grow, which doesn't help everytime he eats. (Assuming he eats out of a plastic bowl. Even those who don't commonly get this problem.)

Also, buy some Malaseb Pledgets from your vet. They look like those little acne pads. Wipe his chin two or three times a day, and it'll eventually go away. The moisture (from the slobber ultimately) is just causing a little folliculitis there. No worries!

Edited by author Sun Dec 2, '07 5:22pm PST

[notify]
RIP Brute

Got food?

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '07 5:57pm PST 
Thanks. He actually uses a stainless steel bowl. I will try to clean it. It just looks so horrible and painful
[notify]

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '07 6:37pm PST 
Yeah, use some disinfecting soap on it after everytime he eats. That combined with the Malaseb Pledgets should do it for you!

Good luck! dancing
[notify]
Manny

So many places,- so little pee...

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '07 8:40pm PST 
Is it white? Sounds like mouth warts. Just something you get from sharing water bowles and stuff
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '07 3:56am PST 
If it truely looks like warts, it may be Viral Papillomas. If your pup is around other dogs in situations like training class, daycare, boarding, going to the pet store, dog park, etc... They are at increased risk. Most dogs will kill of the warts on their own. Dogs with weak immune systems can have a harder time and may need to have them surgically removed. I would have your pup examined by a vet to find out for sure what these bumps/warts are.
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '07 7:21am PST 
looks like you got some good info but i wanted to add that my friends pit bull get them too, but i think she has some food allergies, and the food she eats really is not a good one at all... if your not feeding a good quality kibble maybe you can change it too... but i could be 100% wrong about this laugh out loud just adding my 2 cents, hope you figure it out!!
[notify]
Roscoe

Roscoe's Blu- Moon Shine RN CD

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '07 6:40pm PST 
they may be puppy zits... dont know how old you are but alot of large breeds (not sure about small breeds) get zits in there adolecenst years. they go away when there around 1 1/2
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '07 8:35pm PST 
Could it be where your whiskers are supposed to come through? Maybe the whiskers broke off, and you just see the bump?thinking
PJ

Getting wet and- dirty is fun

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '07 3:30am PST 
It very much sounds like Viral Papillomas which is common in puppies and older dogs. They can be easily passed from one dog to another . Therfore your dog should be kept away from other dogs until you don't see them anymore. There is really nothing a vet can do unless after 6 months they are still there...then they can do surgery to remove them. I wouldn't worry though normally they go away by themselve.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2