GO!

Please help! Possible blood coming out of anus.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Angel Maddy

Forever Loved.- 12/20/00-02/05/1- 2

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:03am PST 
I am completely freaking out. Maddy has been acting strange for two days, nothing serious just a bit more tired than usual (but that's somewhat normal for a Sunday when we're home all weekend). This morning she was unusually snuggly, but not in a good way. She kept looking back at her behind so I checked her over because a few weeks ago I found something that looked like the front part of a tick (the body was gone, but a tiny ball came out of her skin when I squeezed). Anyway, I noticed her anus was protruding a little bit, so I placed a tissue over it and gently squeezed (like when they secrete the anal sacs). There was a slight wooshing sound and fecal/blood/mucusy mixture came out onto the tissue. I saved it for the vet to see.

What on earth could that be? I am so incredibly scared right now. I called the vet immediately and made an appointment for 10:45 (est) this morning, but I really need help calming down and finding out info. Google is getting a workout right now.

Please help. I am so scared I can't stop crying. I've had Maddy since she was a baby and she's always had good health. I don't know what I would do without her.
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:09am PST 
it could be almost anything. infected anal glands, the results of a foreign body, or HGE. only a thorough exam can tell.
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:10am PST 
HGE?

I know it could be a few different things, I just wanted to go in with some of my research already done so I knew exactly what was going on, you know? I'm like a crazed parent right now.

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '07 6:12am PST

[notify]

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:12am PST 
Have you had anal gland problems? Been eating and poopie-ing OK? any of the Big D?

My unqualified opinion could bee a problem with the anal glands. Or possibly a bacterial infection in the intestines.

Tess and I had a bacterial infection. One of the things was mucousy, bloody poop with explosive gas. The whoosh?

Try and not fuss too much with the bee-hind while you wait fur your vet appointment. Stay quiet with Mom and she'll get you to the heyelp you need.

Smoke, sending Super-Bionic healing
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:16am PST 
Thanks Smoke. She's never had problems before, and has been eating and poo-ing just fine. No diarrhea either. She's been on TWO Ocean Blue for quite a few months now.
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:31am PST 
Tess picked up our spiral sheets at the doggie bed and breakfast. The vet said that stress could have let them get out of control. Is it really crazy-wild at your house now fur the Howl-idays? Sometimes changes in our normal routines like the Howl-idays can upset a tummy.

Smoke, put the Howl in Howl-idays
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:36am PST 
Oh poor little Maddy. Good luck sweetie. I hope the vet sorts you out right away hug
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:37am PST 
I would feel incredibly awful if it was my fault this happened. I have been abnormally busy with work, the concert band, starting a 4H club, board meetings, etc. Last week I don't think I made it home before 8pm one day. It's not usually like that around here but sometimes when it rains it pours, you know?
[notify]
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:48am PST 
It could just be an infected anal gland which is usually fixed right up with some meds.
Do you think it was actually her anus that was bleeding, or do you think it was the stool that was bloody?
Bloody stool isn't as serious in dogs as it is with people.
I think the best thing you can do for her before you hit the vet is just calm down so you don't spread your anxiety over to her.
Please let us know what the vet says and good luck!
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:53am PST 
It looks like the bleeding is coming from the anal gland itself. She just went outside to go poo and I picked up the sample to take with me. The poo was normal, but she was still bleeding from her gland (bottom right of her anus).

I'm trying my hardest to calm down, but she's my baby! It's so hard!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4