GO!

Can you feel the microchip?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 10:45am PST 
I was wondering - is there anyway you can feel the microchip under the skin?
Yvie has a tiny hard bump on her shoulder - about the size of a pencil lead, maybe a bit bigger. It's firm, but can be pushed around.
I'm not worried about it since she also has some small abrassions in that area from a rough wrestling match with George but it makes me wonder if maybe it's actually her microchip?
It's on her shoulder blade, tho, so the chip would have had to have drifted...
Thought? thinking
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 10:48am PST 
they can move...and you might be able to feel it if its between bone and skin cause itll get pushed up more...

its not going to hurt her as its subcutaneous (under skin)...i've heard of them moving down dogs legs!
[notify]
The Fab- Conway- Sisters-EWC

Living Life to- It's Fullest

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 10:54am PST 
It's doubtful that what you're feeling is a microchip. Most of them are so small it's almost impossible to feel anything. They can move though, so I guess it's always a possibility. Mommy does a lot of work at her shelter with the microchips and the scanning, and they do the scans over the shoulders and the whole back just in case they do move.
[notify]

Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 11:20am PST 
Mom saw mine before it was inserted. It was small, but bigger than we thought. It is about the size of a grain of cooked rice, but hard.

AS everyone said, they can move, but they are usually implanted so deep, you would have to know exactly where it was, and pinch it to feel it. And I wouldn't do that, as it would irritate the flesh around the chip.
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 11:27am PST 
its under the skin...not deep....
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 11:27am PST 
i can occasionally find nunus, i have never felt tinks or buster but i can feel shadows all the time!!! its creepy but yes i can feel thiers sometimes.

it is about the size of a grain of rice, and its hard and slightly moveable, it only moves a little you cant like push it around too much...
[notify]
Stitch

older, wiser,- still sniffs- butts

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 11:30am PST 
most likely, that is the microchip. I can feel both stitch and chanel, and they feel exactly as you described. Actually, a grain of rice is the best description. I am sure the different companies have different microchips, so it is possible that some people can not feel the chip. I have also been told they can move, which does bother me a little bit. But as long as it can be found by the scanner, i guess I am ok with it.
[notify]
Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 12:08pm PST 
It is most likely the microchip that migrated before it settled. The way they stay where they are is thru the scar tissue that surrouns them. When they go in, they have barbs that will catch in the skin as the vet withdraws the syringe and hopefully it stays right there for the scar tissue to develope.

I can feel all three of mine but then again, they are all small breed dogs. Only one migrated and it went down the right side of her neck about two inches from where it went in. Good for you for getting this done to protect your dog.
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 12:16pm PST 
Arko, mine is under the skin, but in the muscle a little... I saw it on an x-ray.

Not to agrue, but for me... that is where mine is.
big grin
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 1:26pm PST 
Thanks pups for all your good responses - it totally does feel like a grain of rice.
Our shelters are also really good and scanning all over to find those pesky microchips.
[notify]