GO!

Do dogs get cold? Do they need clothing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mona

Doing something,- let me poke my- nose in?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 11:30am PST 
Do dogs need jackets/sweaters when the weather gets cold?
[notify]
Sinbad

Can we- PLEEEEEEASE- Snuggle?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 11:45am PST 
I think it depends on the dog. I know alot of the Northern breeds, especially those with double coats shouldn't have a problem out for walks and such in the snow( I assume thats what you meant). In terms of dogs that originate from Africa or Asian however may have a tough time with the cold, especially if you experience winters like we do here in Alberta. I think the same can be said of having "Northern" Breeds in very hot climates without proper means to keep them cool on hot days. The breeder who I hope to one day get an Akita puppy from is very concerned about the climate her pups go to, and since we can have hot weather in the summer as well made sure I understood what summer care of an Akita entailed before we got put on a waiting list. I think the key is knowing your breed, where they come from, and their climate needs. Not to say that short haired breeds can't enjoy the snow and northern climates, just that perhaps clothing might be the best thing for them. Hope that helps to some degree BOL!
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 11:52am PST 
good words sinbad!!

same thing i was gonna say...so i'll shut up! hail
[notify]

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 12:03pm PST 
thinking My breed originated in Germany. I know they get some cold weather, but....if it's under 70 degrees, don't come lookin' fur me! I'm gonna have my freezing eenie weenie bee-hind buried under some blankets!

Smoke, hibernating fur the winter
[notify]
Sinbad

Can we- PLEEEEEEASE- Snuggle?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 12:04pm PST 
HEHEHE Ok I guess I can't include ALL of ASIA since Northern China and Japan can be VERY COLD and some double coated breeds originated there (DUH! I want an Akita BOL) but you know what I mean right......
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 4:00pm PST 
You can tell when the dog is cold. Snowy walks funny when it gets cold.. he sorta arches his back like he's a hunchback. A sweater will make him happy smile

Edited by author Wed Nov 7, '07 4:00pm PST

[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 4:15pm PST 
i sgree with smoke!! us german pups are coooolllllddddd here in colorado!!! even though germany isnt the earmest place int he world!!!

it depends on the dog, if you dog is shivering when they go out, then i would say yes a jacket is a good idea... i have 2 mini dachshunds a yorkie and a shepard mix... the three little ones will go out until it gets too cold then they need thier jackets... buster is good even when it snowed he was fine, but i have a jacket for him and keep my eye on him, if he shivers.. on goes the jacket... your dog will let you know. Shivering pup = jacket laugh out loud how how we do it here smile
[notify]
Chani

Munchkin,- Rascal, Run- Chani Run

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 4:20pm PST 
I'm a tiny girl with very short hair. I love my pink fuzzy jackie when I go out for my walks. I only wear it outside and when it is cold. No summer time jackie for me.dancing
[notify]
Giz- (Mom'sAngel)

Smiling at my- Puggie Love:)

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 4:33pm PST 
Hi, I'm small breed, pug mix. Mom puts jackets and sweaters on me in the cold months. I definitely get cold and appreciate them. But our Nomex is a Lab mix and she can't get enough of the cold snow and never needs a jacket.
[notify]
Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 7:33pm PST 
It depends. I have some dogs that need jackets at 10 above, and then some of mine are perfectly happy to -40 without jackets. It depends on the dog's coat.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3