GO!

how cold of temperatures can a labrador handle before i should bring him in??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

skylar

CURIOUS- SKYLAR!!!skywee!- !crazy doogie~~

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 4:15am PST 
I HAVE A YELLOW LAB AND HE STAYS OUTSIDE MOST OF THE TIME DUE TO OUR LANDLORD NOT LETTING PETS IN..WELL IT IS STARTING TO GET COLDER IN KY.,SO HOW COLD CAN A LAB TAKE OR BE COMFORTABLE BEFORE I SHOULD LET HIM IN???THANKS
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 8:04am PST 
Hey skylar,

Us Labs are pretty tough when it comes to winters. Make sure that skylar's house is wind tight and that his door is not facing the wind, if at all possible under a tree or some other sort of cover. Also make sure there is plenty of hay or straw in his house to keep him warm. If you wanted to be sure he was extra warm and toasty you could build him his own dog house for pretty cheap. You could make his house so that when he walks in, he has to turn a corner so that when he's sleeping in there he is not right in the wind if it happens to be blowing through the opening. Then you could also insulate it with foam or fiberglass insulation, just be sure to cover it with another layer so that he dosn't eat it. (such as some cheap paneling or something). We used to build our dog houses so that they could be outside during the winter months up here in Wisconsin, and they would be fine out there in temperatures under freezing, we would bring them inside if it got below about 20 degrees. I am not sure exactly how cold it gets there in Kentucky butI would think if you had a warm house skylar should be fine out there. wave
[notify]
Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 9:08am PST 
I totally agree with Nallah! Great advice!

Dogs can withstand pretty cold temperatures, its the heat they have a harder time adjusting to.
[notify]

Takiah

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 3:25pm PST 
What type of enclosure does he have outside? The above description is what you need if a dog is outdoors a lot. Labs are pretty tough, and are bred for working in cold weather and cold water, but I wouldn`t want to leave one outside in sub freezing temps. Also, for social reasons as well as labs are very family oriented. Leaving them outside all winter is not really fair IMO in most cases, no matter what the weather conditions. Is your landlord always around?? Maybe you can even just gate off the kitchen or another room and let him in there, so he isn`t on furniture or carpet.
[notify]
Phoebe

Phoebe Doobee,- Baby, Monster,- Bad Girl

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 10:38am PST 
Hell, when I came home as a puppy my mom wasn't even allowed to have a dog! She would sneak me in and out of the house for months! Was kinda hard whne I grew to be over 80 lbs! We did get caught after many monts, but heck it was worth it. We had proven that we were responcable and the landlord said that having me was okay! Too bad were alrready were in the process of moving to a home with a yard and not one but TWO doggie doors! snoopysnoopy
We all miss Boston, but the big yard and not being crated all day really makes me happy!

Edited by author Wed Oct 31, '07 10:42am PST

[notify]