GO!

Dog having trouble defecating... what's the problem?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dexter

Dexter - The best dog- you've never- had!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '07 7:35pm PST 
Hi everyone!

My name's Dexter. Just a few days ago I was rescued from a pretty nasty shelter in LA and flown to my new life in Canada.

The first night in my home, my foster mama noticed I was squatting to poop but nothing was coming out. I was really straining, but nothing. Now 2 days later, same problem.

Any thoughts, anyone?
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '07 8:29pm PST 
Is the a possibility of a blockage?
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 6:48am PST 
It all depends on what Dexter had been eating. It could be from too many treats, or something more serious like Dex got into something and now its causing blockage. You could try giving him some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff tho!), that always helps with poo problems. How long has it been since he's pooped? Has he pooped since you've had him? If not I would start to be concerned, two days is a long time for a dog to go with out pooping. You may want to call your vet and see if they have any suggestions or if they just want you to bring Dex in for some xrays, they will be able to see if there is something causing a strain. I hope Dexter feels better soon! Keep us posted.....
[notify]

Nikki aka- 'Eyes to the- Soul'

hey Irie, wasn't- that MY toy??

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 6:49am PST 
I know there are dogsters that might disagree but you can give him canned pumpkin (pure) to see if that helps
Anything persistant should be checked out by your vet
The canned pumpkin won't hurt him but some think a vet should be seen first, many others agree that is worth a try until you can get to the vet.
If he is impacted it is important you see a vet first to figure out why.
If he's in pain, think impaction and see a vet asap because a blockage of poop can lead to other problems quickly.
my 2 cents
cheer
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 7:50am PST 
Thanks everyone!

It IS possible that there's a blockage, but also, his food has been switched a lot and I'm sure the last couple of days have been stressful.

He went twice on Thursday, after much pushing and umphing. It was really runny, though. I didn't notice him go Friday or yesterday. However my boyfriend said he went this morning, but again, it was really mushy.

Thanks for the advice about the pumpkin - definitely good to know!

I'm gonna keep a close watch over him. I'll keep you posted!

~Dexter's foster mama
[notify]
Cookie

Your Never Too- Big To Be A Lap- Dog

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 8:58am PST 
It is a possability that he is having trouble with his anal glands. Is he holding his tail up at a certain height at all times or scooting and paying a lot of attention to his bottom?

Cookie recently had trouble with her anal glands for the first time in 15 months. She was paying a lot of attention to her bottom and acted like she didn't want to go poop because of pain and discomfort. She also held her tail up at a certain height but she never scooted.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 10:05am PST 
Definately try the pumpkin and let us know if it helped!

hug
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 3:07pm PST 
I gave him some pumpkin with dinner (which he's eating now). I'll let you know if it works. I gave him two heaping spoonfuls - is that enough? Too much?
[notify]
Hairy! R I- P left us- but N

LOVE IS BETTER- BLIND

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 3:16pm PST 
hi not a pleasant option BUT.. i had to do this with Hairy. Lay doggy on their back gently massage the back passage, and i mean GENTLY, push with your two index fingers towards the bum hole. Dont touch the actual hole, but gentle persusassion may help. Not nice to do, but Hairy enjoyed the close cuddle she thught she was getting anyway! Little did she know what we were really up to. Some people would feel uncomfortable doing this, but at the end of the day.. worth a try simple gentle massage. and you should soon feel if there is a hard lump stuck some where.
Other than that, id say stress, and lay low, when its ready to come out oh boy it will....... Love and best wishes xxxxxsnoopy
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 4:39pm PST 
You may also want to call the vet. If his glands need expressing, then the vet could it, but it would be better if he was looked at. I also agree with the canned pumpkin, but make sure it is NOT the pumpkin pie filling.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2