GO!

Excessive Drooling/Watering Mouth???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 3:30pm PST 
Nallah has been drooling a lot in the past few hours. We've noticed that her mouth keeps dripping and its like her mouth is watering or something. We have really hot weather here right now, its about 83 and suuuuuppppeeerrr humid, which is very RARE for October weather in Wisconsin. We've been used to about 60 degree weather lately so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. We had to work until 2, she was with us all day at work and seemed to sleep a little more than normal as well. She was seeming sort of mopey at home so I decided to take her out to play a game of fetch to cheer her up and she didn't have a problem doing that, although again I noticed lots of drool. She went and got a big gulp of water after fetch and is just laying down on the floor right now trying to cool off from the stupid humidity outside. Is there something wrong with her or am I just freaking out??? I'm a very protective mom of my furbaby so any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance....shrug
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 3:37pm PST 
I do not want to panic you but excessive drooling is sign of the dreaded bloat...Was she drooling before play?...Had she eaten in close to the playing?
Scroll down on this link to "what are the signs"
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&artic leid=402
I hope she is o.k.!
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 3:41pm PST 
No she was drooling way before we started exersize and she had eaten about 2 hours prior to playing fetch. She did drink after fetch but it wasn't a ton of water and she just took a few slurps. We were just sitting up here on the bed and she was dripping from her mouth. She does this sometimes when we have food that she likes but we didn't have any food up here??? She was acting pretty normal besides a little bit mopey and dripping from her mouth (not breathing heavy or anything before fetch). And I could be just exagerating (Sp?) with the mopiness since any change in her behavior sends a red flag to me....just a worrywart! I thought she could only get bloat if she exersized right after eating or ate/drank LOTS right after playing??shrug Thanks for your help pippin.
[notify]

Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 4:00pm PST 
Not sure if it can only happen if they play right after eating or drinking lots of water...What does her belly feel like?
Did you read the link?...Again, I don't mean to worry you...Bloat just scares the crap out of me!!frown
[notify]
Max

Leisure Dog- Extraordinare!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 4:07pm PST 
She might also have something stuck between her teeth, or some sort of sore in her mouth. A bad tooth also came to mind.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 4:09pm PST 
Yeah I read the link. I really appreciate your help. Bloat scares me a lot too! I try to be so careful with her and not let anything bad happen to her. She dosn't seem to be in pain or anything, she is just dripping drooling....nothing else really. And her tummy dosn't look swollen. I am at a loss....I have no clue whats going on here. Like I said, she isn't usually a huge drooler, only when we have food and she can really smell it. The other thing I just thought of was we've had an invasion of asian beetles here with the warm weather. And she's been eating them off the patio door like crazy! I don't know if that could have anythign to do with it?? shrug
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 4:29pm PST 
I think we have a bingo!...lol!
I am looking for the info. right now because I could have sworn I heard/read somewhere about their dog doing that after eating them...
Darn!...I can't find anything...I could have swore I read/heard that somewhere but I might be remembering wrong so keep a close eye on her...Is there by chance a vet open that you can call &ask?
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 6:00pm PST 
Hey, I just got back home. We just went out for a while to do a few things in the woods and we brought her with. I called the vet to see if they would happen to answer or anything. I had to leave a message but someone called me right back. They said as long as she's not throwing up or having diarrhea that I don't really need to worry. She is acting pretty normal, she was super happy to be in the car and go to the woods like she always is. And she was running around in the woods like normal, and also had normal poops out there, so that was good to see. The vet said its probably just got to do with the heat since its not normally this hot or humid in October. I am going to do some research and see if I can find anything on them stupid asian beetles and see what I come up with...THANKS everyone for your help! I really appreciate it, and I love knowing that I can always come to dogsters for advice. Much love, hugNall
[notify]