GO!

Gelatin for Joint Health

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 6:25pm PST 
Anyone ever heard of using gelatin as a supplement for joint health? Not Jell-O, but real gelatin.

I heard word of potential benefits for joint health from a mailing list I am on and someone shared a really super easy recipe for it. The boys LOVE it so I will still probably make it for a treat now and then, but I had never heard of it's benefit for joints.

Anyone know anything about this??
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 6:30pm PST 
It sorta makes sense...

I've heard that gelatin is made from pig cartilages (example: from pig ears). Chondroitin supplements (the supplements that supposedly enhance your joint health) are also made from pig cartilages.

I just get pig ears as treats as they are yummy smile, but I guess gelatin could work too.

Edited by author Sun Sep 30, '07 6:32pm PST

[notify]
Gio

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 6:32pm PST 
Yeah apparently it's made from joint tissue so has natural collagen and such.
[notify]

Ellie

Give me your- face so I can- lick it!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 6:35pm PST 
Recipe, please? My hips would love some of that! Everything's worth a shot to see if it helps.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 6:37pm PST 
Hmmm.. not so good news found from wikipedia party

"Gelatin has also been claimed to promote general joint health. A study at Ball State University, sponsored by Nabisco (the former parent company of Knox gelatin[3]), found that gelatin supplementation relieved knee joint pain and stiffness in athletes. [9] These results have not yet been replicated by other researchers."
[notify]
Gio

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 6:54pm PST 
BOL Thanks Snowy! Nothing like biased corporate sponsored research laugh out loud

Either way, the boys loved their Gummy Bears and there isn't anything in there that will cause harm ... so here's the recipe:

2 packets of Knox gelatin (equivalent to 2 tbsp)
2 cups of "liquid"

The liquid can be just about anything, with or without solids. The juice from a roast/chicken/turkey, soup base (try to get low or no sodium), unsweetened juice, etc.

Pour one cup of the COLD (or room temperature) liquid in a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin powder on top. Let sit for about 1 minute. In the mean time, bring the other cup of liquid to a boil. Pour the boiling liquid into the bowl and mix until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Pour into a flat baking dish and let set in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

This weekend I made it using unsweetened apple juice and stirred in some apple sauce. You can use half and half soup stock to make it less strong. Stir in some shreds of boiled chicken, etc. if desired. Or steam some sliced carrots to mix in. Be creative!

Oh, and my curiosity got the best of me and I tried the apple gummies ... they are really kinda good! Just taste like chewy apple juice big grin
[notify]
Ellie

Give me your- face so I can- lick it!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 7:07pm PST 
Thanks for the recipe! I assume this Knox gelatin stuff can be purchased at any grocery store? Mom really doesn't know that much about food mumbo jumbo smile

ETA: I see now that Knox is made by Kraft, so I'm still assuming it's going to be in the gelatin isle.

Edited by author Sun Sep 30, '07 7:12pm PST

[notify]
Gio

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 7:21pm PST 
Yeah I found it with the boxes of Jell-O and pudding. It's in a little orange box.
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 8:10pm PST 
Hi all. Actually Knox Gelatin is a very old remedy for joint pains in humans. My Gram(born turnof last century) used to use it, way before anything they had today other than asprin. It was also used to help grow nails out. It is benign really ,no harm from its use that I've ever heard. If they like it worth a try .laugh out loud
[notify]
Long Day

Wanna be- friends.

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '07 10:47am PST 
I had severe arthritis and my mum got Glucosamine vitamins in the Dollar Tree store for $1 for 30 and gave me 1 a day in my food. When she started to do this, I could not use my back legs and within a short time I was moving around with no problem. I had battled arthritis for a long time because the person who bred me, bred a wolf with a shelty so you can imagine the problem. I had Shelty legs, hair, head and organs with a wolf barrel body and chest. The vitamins worked for 5-6 years before I finally passed due to cancer.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2