GO!

my brussels griffon puppy is making strange snorting/dry heaving noise...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bailey

"yes, i know, i- look like a- gremlin."

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 4:10pm PST 
hello. it started happening about 3 days ago. she stops what she's doing and snorts/dry heaves very loudly a few times... looks like she's scared and uncomfortable. i tried to look online, but haven't found a proper answer... i understand brussels can have breathing problems but this sounds like she's trying to get rid of something in her nose or throat. she's not gagging or trying to vomit. i wish i could record it because it's quite hard to describe. but basically, her body moves forward and the snort noise comes out. can you help me find out what it is? if this continues i'll definitely take her to the vet on monday. however it would help to know more or less what it is right now... thank you!!!
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 4:58pm PST 
It sounds like reverse sneezing:
Click here for Reverse Sneezing Information

Click here for Additional Reverse Sneezing Information
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 5:07pm PST 
yes! it does! thank you very much!!!
[notify]

Birken

I'm a funny dog- !

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 5:26pm PST 
i think it could also have something to do with a "collapsing trachia."
from what i've read and been told, little dogs get that.

birken does it, my mother's 2 malti-chons do it, and my grandma's maltese does it.

i usually just rub them under their chin on their throat until it stops.

way to go
[notify]
UR01 Bandit - RA

I did it!!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 6:10pm PST 
Bandit & Toby both do it - it's really common in papillons. High humidy and excitement both tend to make the reverse sneezing flare up for us. I hold a treat tightly between my fingers and let them nibble on it when they start snorting, and it usually makes them stop. The first few times you see a dog do this, it can be pretty scary. Calming the dog can help to make it stop.
[notify]
UR01 Bandit - RA

I did it!!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 6:10pm PST 
Bandit & Toby both do it - it's really common in papillons. High humidy and excitement both tend to make the reverse sneezing flare up for us. I hold a treat tightly between my fingers and let them nibble on it when they start snorting, and it usually makes them stop. The first few times you see a dog do this, it can be pretty scary. Calming the dog can help to make it stop.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 7:30pm PST 
big grin thanks guys. this is great help.
[notify]
Trixie

mommies little- live wire

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 8:14pm PST 
yeah thanks from us too guys...my toy poodle does this once in awhile for no reason but it sure does still scare the... out of at times..it is like she is trying to sneeze but can't get her breath..my vet checked her out..she is finebut he never mentioned the sneezing thing..i am checking out these sites now...at least now i won't be as scarred..thanks..way to go
[notify]
♥ ZOE- ♥

What- Would Cesar- Do?

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 8:28pm PST 
i do it all the time. drives mom crazy, esp. in the middle of the nite. then roxi gets in my face and doesn't help matters. if you massage the throat it helps a little. mom says it sounds scary though. eekeek
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 9:08pm PST 
Yep, sounds like reverse sneezing to me... Pooch gets it sometimes, he's not really brachycephalic but he's close...
What I have found that works to stop it is if you cover the dog's nose for a few seconds with your hand. It seems to snap them out of it really well.
way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2