GO!

acupuncture?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Coco ( in- loving- memory)

old man with an- attitude!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 10:49am PST 
does anyone have any experience using acupuncture for dogs with arthritis and muscle degeneration?
coco has been having a really hard time getting around lately, so we tried deramaxx, but with his history of liver problems, we were told to stop the meds if he had any stomach issues, and.....long story short, no more deramaxx.
he gets a daily glucosamine/chronditin supplement and we are restarting his adequan injections so he's getting them twice a week for a month.
i've been doing research on acupuncture, and it seems like it might be a good option for coco, since his liver can't handle steriods or anti inflamitories. the studies that i found claimed a 40-60% success rate.
I would love to hear from any of you who have tried acupuncture for your dogs and if it was a positive or negative experience.
thanks!
[notify]
Storm

I'm not begging- if I can't see- you!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 2:08pm PST 
Storm had one vet visit where she had some acupuncture done after her splenectomy surgery last January. It really helped her, and she thoroughly enjoyed the experience, if you can believe it!

I've heard that acupuncture can be really effective for arthritis -- I'd give it a go if I were you for sure!
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 2:20pm PST 
Its worth a try. A lot of the big names in vet treatment of chronic pain are recommending it along with pain meds, physical therapy, weight loss, and neutriceuticals. Are you using a high omega 3 diet?
[notify]

Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 2:42pm PST 
Acupuncture for your type of condition can be a very, very good thing.

I'ver had acupuncture a number of times. I had a knee issue that ultimately required TPLO surgery (11/2005). The acupuncture treatments went on before surgery and then during my rehabilitation as well.

I know some older dogs who weren't getting around so well anymore, mostly due to arthritis. Their people started taking them regularly for acupuncture and warm water swim therapy. Now the dogs get around much better. Their people noticed a marked improvement, which means they'll keep going for both treatments as often as they can.

Just as for any health practitioner, some acupuncturists are better than others. References and recommendations from current clients is always helpful. That's how we know who to consider and who to avoid.

Take care!
[notify]
Coco ( in- loving- memory)

old man with an- attitude!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 6:19pm PST 
thanks for all the info! i talked to the vet today and she recommended another vet that she knows that does acupuncture. she says that she's seen lots of positive results from it as well. i'm going to set up an appointment to go in and just talk to the doctor about coco and his problems and get an idea of a treatment plan for coco and everything that it would entail.

coco eats a combination of wellness senior protection ( with omega 3 and glucosamine and all sorts of good stuff like that) and purina heart diet ( not great, but had no sodium, which we need for his heart)

Edited by author Tue Sep 25, '07 6:21pm PST

[notify]
Levi,- PAWS-My- Guardian- Angel

Can't keep a- cattle dog down- :)

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 9:08pm PST 
I've had lots of acupuncture treatments and I can tell you firsthand they are PAWSOME!
I just lay there and let the needles do the work. The combination of acupuncture and chiropractic has been the ticket for meway to go
If you have any questions or just want to talk about it, pmail me!
[notify]