GO!

Dog not feeling well after shots

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
T-Bone

'Bad to the- Bone"

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 4:29am PST 
Is it normal for a dog to not feel well after receiving their rabies and distemper shots? T-Bone got his yesterday and slept most of the evening. This morning he's very lax (and he's normally really peppy). He seemed to be shaking a little and he would not eat his normal dog food. He did eat an egg. Now he's sleeping again! Should I be concerned or is this a normal reaction? I plan on calling the vet when it opens but wanted to run this past you guys as well. Thanks!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 5:39am PST 
Yes it can happen to us little ones. It's the distemper that usually does it to us. My vet doesn't give more than one shot to me at a time because I am little. I have a bad reaction to distemper shots - shakes, screaming in pain when touched and really lethargic - for about 10 hours after the shot. Last time the vet gave me a benedryl before I had my shot and I was absolutely fine. cheer

If you are still not well this morning I think you should call your vet. hug
[notify]
T-Bone

'Bad to the- Bone"

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 9:35am PST 
Thanks Rosie! I did call my vet and he said to give t-bone baby aspirin. I then took t-bone to my mom's so she could keep an eye on him too. She said he already seems to be feeling better. I think next year I am going to do what Rosie does - and get one shot at a time. I don't like to see my baby feelin like that!
[notify]

Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 9:39am PST 
I'd feel like crap if I was injected with a live nasty virus too.
Yuck.

Hope you feel better soon!
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 10:06am PST 
Except that the injections are NOT live virus.

Feel better soon.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 10:27am PST 
A lot of dogs are wobbly and don't feel as hot after shots. My Mom's GSP had a severe reaction to rabies so that is why we don't vaccinate anymore, unless it is absolutely necessary.

A lot of small dogs are prone to bigger reactions since they are so little and fragile.
[notify]
Gracie

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 3:38pm PST 
NO, this is NOT normal! This dog has had an allergic reaction. The injections should not be given at the same time. They should space them 4 weeks apart- the combo & rabies. Was lepto a part of the combo shot? Many dogs react to lepto & some have even died. Many vets will not even give lepto because of so many dogs reacting. Do a search on Dr. Jean Dodds. She will give you the latest vaccine protocol. Consider titer testing in the future!
[notify]
Venninne

kisses, kisses,- kisses, kisses,- kisses!!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 4:59pm PST 
Buddy, some are live, well MODIFIED LIVE VIRUSES. But live none-the-less!!

Gracie, this does not implicitly signify an allergic reaction. Many small and medium dogs do become lethargic after shots, it is not considered something to be overly worried about unless is long lasting or accompanied by other symptoms.

OP, I agree, you may want to get the shots done separately from here on in. For my big dog, the Dr. gives them all on the same day, but my little gaffer gets each one done a week apart.
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '07 6:01am PST 
Live and Modified-Live are NOT the same thing.
Modified-live vaccines are made by taking the virus or bacteria and altering (attenuating) it to a non-disease causing virus.
Live vaccines are NOT altered, and can cause the disease. The hope is that the immune system will be able to fight off the smaller exposure...it doesn't always work. Which is why there are no Live vaccines used for canine/feline vaccination.
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '07 6:15am PST 
But, it's still live. Modified or not, it is still live in an altered state.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2