GO!

Acepromazine---stoned?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Benny D.D.S.

Kiss me I'm- Irish!!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 5:52pm PST 
We were given a sedative for to give benny during his 4 weeks of kennel confinement (after surgery-see diary). It has been 2 weeks and we havne't had to give him any....until today. He was acting really crazy in his kennel, jumping around, trying to break out, barking etc. We were worried about him hurting his leg or somehow hurting himself while we were at work so we gave him half a Acepromazine at about 1:45pm today. Fast forward to 8:45pm and he is still acting stoned. should we be worried? Benny is 55lbs so I'm sure we did not give him too much, but he is currently in his kennel eating his dinner laying down with his head in his bowl. He doesn't want to get up to go outside and hasn't had any water since this morning. has anyone else had to give their dog this medication? how long should he be sedate? is 7+ hours too long for half a pill? Please let us know!!!
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 5:59pm PST 
Just recently my friend's dog got "Ace" for her dog after surgery & he became aggressive with her children which had NEVER happened before...She stopped giving it to him & he was back to his usual self...Ace is something I would avoid using it if at all possible!!

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '07 6:07pm PST

[notify]
Thomas- Pickles

Who, me?

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 6:06pm PST 
Benny~We were given Ace to use for Tommy on a long car ride. Our vet indicated that the effects can last as long as 12 hours. If he is still acting lethargic after a few more hours, I would give your vet a call.
[notify]

Sadie

We- Shall- Remember

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 6:15pm PST 
I've only used 'Ace' on horses..so don't know the effects of it on dogs...I would contact your vet just to be sure...
[notify]
Lily

They call me- 'Little'

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 6:26pm PST 
Lily took the recommended dosage and was really out of it for a good 24 hours and wasn't her normal self until at least 48 hours or more. That dose was way too strong; I stopped giving it to her (she's afraid of fireworks which is why I originally gave it to her). Now I either put her in the crate (where she feels safe) or she'll go wait it out in the basement (her other safe place).
[notify]
Gladys

destroyer of all- things fluffy!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 6:31pm PST 
we gave gladys a small amount of ace ( about 2 cc's) when i moved her up to school with me because she's scared of car rides. she wasn't completely stoned, just calmer for the day. coco on the other hand was loopy for two days after being sedated with ace for a heart ultra sound.
if you have any concerns, it's always best to call the vet....better safe than sorry is my motto, you can ask our vetssmile is benny on any other medications, like maybe pain meds or antibiotics? those could be reacting with the ace and prolonging the sedation. if he hassn't improved after 12 hours, then definitely call the vet.
good luck!
[notify]
Benny D.D.S.

Kiss me I'm- Irish!!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 6:56pm PST 
thanks so much everyone! I was worried that no one else would have heard of it or used it before. Benny is never getting it again! We are going to call the vet first thing in the morning if he is still loopy. We thought we had used such a small amount that it wouldn't even affect him, guess we were wrong. It is just so strange to see him so......sedate. thanks again everyone and we will keep you all updated if anything comes of this
[notify]
Benny D.D.S.

Kiss me I'm- Irish!!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 7:16pm PST 
oops double post. bad mom. bad

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '07 7:17pm PST

[notify]
Poitash

My Friend

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '07 9:13am PST 
Yup ace vet lasts up to 12 hrs and acts fast. I had to fly with my dog and since he had never traveled before, the vet dosed him up. he had a hard time walking very soon after the pills and although was better when he got off the plane, he was still quite sedate
[notify]