GO!

Is There a Natural Way to Keep Fleas Off??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella

Smart~With NO- Sense!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 3:25pm PST 
I was just wondering if any of you experienced dog owners know of any home (but all natural) remedies for fleas? Is there a way to keep the fleas off without buying those scary chemicals??
[notify]
Blue

"Don't mess with- my food!"

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:48pm PST 
well my friend puts a little bit of vinegar in her dogs water and it supposedly repels the fleas.
[notify]
Leo (RIP- 22/10/93 - 28/03/08)

Nearley of- Lincoln

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 2:50am PST 
I used Grlic & fenugreek tablets (formulated for dogs) by dorwest herbs ( www.dorwest.com ) - I know a lot of people don't like giving garlic but Ive used it for over 10 years now & find it brilliant - never use nasties like frontline! Also (from Dorwest) I use shampoo called pennyroyal - it's a herbal shampoo that smells a bit minty - aparently repels fleas & ticks - again I find it brilliant - havent seen a flea in over 2 years!
[notify]

Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 5:29am PST 
You can make a repellant (but, it does not kills fleas, it only repells) made of freshly squeezed lemon and fresh lavendar. I've only tried just the lemon because I cannot find the lavendar. And that is helping. All you do it buy one lemon, and some lavendar. Take a quart of water and put it in a bowl. Squeeze the lemon till you get most of the juice squeezed out into the water. Then finely chop up the lavendar and add it to the bowl. Let that soak for about a day in the fridge. Then take a strainer and stain out the bits of lavendar, and possibly the lemon seeds that came out when you squeezed the lemon. Put the liquid in a spritz bottle and spray a few squirts on your pups body. Don't spray too much though, because only the smell is the repellant, so you don't need much to get the smell. You only have to spray it daily unless you are outside for a long period of time, then re-spray every 2-3 hours. I found that keeping the mixture refridgerated helps the smell stay strong.

When I mixed just the lemon in with water, the smell had almost gone away after leaving the bottle outside in the heat, so that's not a good idea.
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 5:31am PST 
Leo, just to let you know, if you have cats be very careful with the pennyroyal shampoo. Pennyroyal is extremely toxic to cats and shouldn't be used on them or around them.
[notify]
♥- Bella Mae- ♥

That's mine. And- that's mine. And- that.

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 12:09pm PST 
I actually came across this website I think from another forum in Dogster. It gives a few different ways to keep them off. It also has home remedies for a few other things too. Good luck.

http://www.earthclinic.com/pets.html
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 1:20pm PST 
I read somewhere that a mix of 1 ounce neem oil, 1 tablespoon soap(Dawn dish soap is good) and 1 gallon warm water mixed makes a good spray for skeeters. I used it on the dogs and myself and it really works, I made some for my cousin's flea infested dog. She sprayed the dog before going to bed, the next morning she was flea free!! You can wet the dog really well with it the first time then just lightly mist it on every couple days afterwards. Ebay is a good place to get neem oil
[notify]
Venninne

kisses, kisses,- kisses, kisses,- kisses!!

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 1:28pm PST 
you should be able to get neem oil form plant stores too as it is used on houseplants to battle aphids and spider mites!!
[notify]
Isis

Ima Big Dog

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '07 7:33pm PST 
Brewers yeast in their food is good too. It is only a mild repellant though, so I would use that in conjunction with other methods like the lemon and lavender spray. Even if the Brewers yeast doesn't work for repellant it is a good suppliment in it's own right.
[notify]
Trixie

mommies little- live wire

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '07 10:08pm PST 
HI..I really enjoyed reading all of these posts for fleas..i am going to try some to see if they can help..i have my own dogs plus now my daughters two outside and it is pretty expensive buying frontline every month..if i find one that works i want to also give it a try at our rescue center..i was wondering if the lemon spray would also help with the doggy smell even after they have their baths the next day the smell is back..i have tried several shampoes so far..no luck..the groomer i use to have used one that i loved but they don't have it any more..figures...found some good natural things on here for kennel cough..now that mine are over it..and about 500.00 ..wish i would have read here sooner..thanks ...applause
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2