GO!

PARVO - It CAN be beat!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Buster

GIVE ME THAT- BONE!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '07 3:14pm PST 
PARVO - It CAN be beat! I'm living proof smile

About a week after Mom and Dad brought me home, Mom noticed one morning that I just wasn't acting like my normal spunky self. shrug Then, when I didn't eat my lunch (I usually INHALE all my meals), she new something was wrong. She called the vet, and took the first available appointment which was the next day around noon. About an hour later, I started throwing up, and just wouldn't stop! Mommy picked me up, and couldn't believe how hot I felt. She called the vet again, and they agreed to let her bring me in for an emergency visit.

By the time I got to the vet, I could hardly stand up or even lift my head. cry My ribs were sticking out all of the sudden, and I told them through my eyes how horrible I felt. The vet gave me some fluids under my skin, and they created a HUGE fluid bubble on my back that eventually went away as my body absorbed the water. He also gave me THREE shots shock - An Anti-Nausea shot, a PepcidAC shot, and an Anti-biotic shot. He told Mommy to take me home and see how I did. He told her that hopefully I would improve tremendously w/in the next 3 hours, but if I wasn't considerably better by the next morning, that he thought I could have Parvo. He told Mommy that if I did have Parvo, that it was unlikely I would survive because I was SO young.

Mommy took me home, and I just got worse and worse overnight. By the next morning, I had BLOOD in my stool. red face Mommy and Daddy rushed me back to the vet. He told Mom and Dad that he was pretty sure I had Parvo, and most likely got it at the shelter and had been incubating it. He warned that treatment could get pretty expensive, and asked them what they wanted to do. Mom and Dad decided that they had to at least give me a CHANCE to fight this thing, so they told the vet to admit me. He took blood to test for Parvo, and put me on IV fluids, anti-biotics, and anti-nausea meds. He told Mom and Dad that I'd have to stay in the hospital for a few days, and that if I was going to improve, he should see some improvement w/in 48 hours. He also told them that they could come and visit me as much as they wanted!

They took REALLY good care of me at the vet, and Mom and Dad came to visit me 3-4 times every day wave By the end of day two, I was looking SO much better, and even standing up an wagging my tail a little! The vet said that the blood had come back positive for Parvo, and that I seemed to really be fighting it, but told Mom and Dad not to get their hopes up too much just yet because little puppies like me tend to "turn around" really quickly sometimes w/ little to no warning.

At the end of Day 3, I was doing SO much better, that the vet decided to let me go home! snoopy He told Mom and Dad to Bleach all my toys and bedding, and to mop all of the floors w/ bleach. They also sprayed down the back yard w/ a combination of bleach and water. They know it might kill the grass - but that's a lot easier to replace than me or my brother!

The vet also told Mom and Dad to keep their eyes on my brother, Jake, to make sure that he didn't start showing any symptoms. He's 16 weeks old, and fully vaccinated, so the Vet said that he should be okay, but that Parvo is HIGHLY contagious, so they should keep us separated for another few days.

Today's my first day home (Sept 19th), and I've lost so much weight that I look like a walking rib cage w/ a big head! The vet gave Mom and Dad special food to help me gain weight, and also some pills that they have to give me twice a day. He said that I'm VERY lucky though, and look like I'm going to make a full recovery!

So for any worried Mom's and Dad's out there that have a dog w/ Parvo, I'm living proof that they CAN pull through. The key is getting treatment early though! Mom and Dad wanted me to tell EVERYONE out there that if your Dog loses it's appetite, acts lethargic, and starts throwing up or has bloody stool, rush them to the vet IMMEDIATELY!!! If they DO have Parvo, their chances are MUCH better if they start getting treatment w/in the first 24 hours after they start showing symptoms.
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '07 3:39pm PST 
applause For your vet and the excellent care he has given you. I see many parvo cases and it's not pretty at all. Keep an eye on your brother, hopefully he won't get it.

Being the bi-ped sis is around alot of different doggies with different contagious ailments, Mom and the bi-ped always keep a spray bottle of bleach handy. It comes in handy for cleaning the crates and even the kitty boxes.

Glad to hear your on the road to recovery.cheer
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '07 3:52pm PST 
snoopysnoopyHOORAY!!!

We are so glad you made it out ok, parvo is a very nasty thing to deal with, your mommy & daddy must be so glad to have you home, they are very lucky! My mom dealt with the same thing with her first dog when she was only 10, it was a very hard thing to go through, unfortunately mom's puppy made it through the parvo but was never the same. Its a good thing you caught it early and got it treated early as well. We will say a puppy prayer for you and your family tonight just for good measure and your continued health. Give your mommy big puppy kisses for being so attentive!! puppy
[notify]

Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '07 4:22pm PST 
Glad you're doing well big grin We had an 8 week old pup at our hospital that survived parvo. He's now in foster care (his previous owner gave him up) and has a waiting list of people wanting to adopt him big grin

Yay for beating parvo smile
[notify]
Portia

Kentucky Fried- Cruelty

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 1:41am PST 
I'm very glad you survived parvo, but why weren't you vaccinated against it? Vaccines are very important and parvovirus is a preventable disease.
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 2:28am PST 
Yay!!!! It sounds like you had lots of people looking out for yousmile
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 2:34am PST 
Portia~ Parvo is of course preventable, but sometimes the antibodies the puppies get from mom can interfere with the vaccine and it isn't effective. There is also a period of time when the puppy does not have any antibodies left from mom, but he does not have the immune system to defend himself against Parvo. This is usually prior to the vaccine. Even the most well cared for puppies are succeptible at this point.
[notify]
Portia

Kentucky Fried- Cruelty

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 4:40am PST 
Sadly, canine parvovirus is the most common infectious disease in dogs in the US. The most common type, Type 2, causes diarrhea, which is often bloody. Type 2 has contains two subtypes, 2A and 2B. 2B is the most common type. They are all very similar though. There is evidence that other strains of parvovirus are starting to emerge. Vaccines help control and stop the spread of parvo, but some dogs still contract the disease and die from it, despite being vaccinated. Although, this is extremely rare. There is a lot that veterinary science doesn't know about the disease. Many people are very misinformed about this disease, including breeders and veterinarians!
[notify]
Buster

GIVE ME THAT- BONE!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 6:10am PST 
Portia, I am FULLY vaccinated for my age smile

Mom and Dad only had me 1 week when I got sick.

They adopted me from a shelter, where I had had my first two sets of shots. I'm not due for my next shot until 8/24!

My big brother on the other hand is 16 weeks old, and has had ALL of his puppy shots. So far, he's showing no signs of the disease (thank goodness!) The vet told us to watch out for symptoms just in case b/c Parvo is highly contagious, but said that the vaccinations that Jake has should prevent him from catching it.

Mom and Dad are keeping us sepearated for a few more days just to be safe, and they bleached down EVERYTHING in the house, and even the back yard! They love us both so much, and it would kill them to see Jake go through what I just did frown
[notify]