GO!

Fleas won't go away!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 1:39pm PST 
I've been fighting fleas for nearly two months (if not longer) now and I can't make them go away!

I have tried everything I can possibly think of: Brought the dogs to the vet. Used frontline, flea collars. Had the house bombed, use flea powders and flea sprays. Washed all beding, vaccumed everything, give my dogs constant flea baths (at least once a week), and then brush them out using a flea comb.

But they won't go away! After a day of supposedly being clean, there's suddenly fleas again. I can't use any Frontline, as its already been too soon since their last treatment. I've gone through nearly an entire bottle of both spray and powder and already had the bug man out twice. There seems to be no stopping these mutant fleas and I'm really starting to get worried for my dogs' health.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, can you please offer me advice on what I can possibly do next?
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 1:42pm PST 
Is there a certain place you keep taking them too? Sometimes fleas live in one place and if you keep bringing them back there, they are most likely to get more.

Edited by author Tue Jul 31, '07 1:43pm PST

[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 1:46pm PST 
No. The only place they really go is out in our backyard, and for our normal walks, and there have never been flea problems like this in the past.

And both my boys are always treated with frontline, even through the winter. I always keep up to date on parasite control care, including fleas, heartworms, and ticks. The frontline seems to be working on the ticks, as neither one has had a single one all summer, but the fleas are coming out and a flourish.

They have been treated by a vet twice to rid them of fleas, as has my apartment been treated twice for fleas, not including my daily flea care actions, and still nothing...its like I'm not even making a dent in them.

There are no dog parks around us, and they aren't introduced to strange animals. Only other dogs they know and I know so I know they aren't getting them from other dogs, and I don't have any cats.

Its like these fleas are...mutants...and are actually feeding off the insecticides.

Edited by author Tue Jul 31, '07 1:47pm PST

[notify]

Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 1:56pm PST 
I believe there is a product you can buy thats sort of like the house flea bomb. Instead you use it outside, maybe your backyard or where your walking is where they are coming from? Check out Petsmart I believe they carry it. You never know whats lurking beneath the grass BOL! Good luckway to goway to go
[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 2:03pm PST 
BOL. Yeah. Some of the bugs they carry back in the house are kind of scary.

I guess my real concern would be why the Frontline isn't working when its worked for the past two years on Ein, and on all the dog's I've had previously.
[notify]
Poitash

My Friend

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 2:17pm PST 
There is a product you get from your vet, it is called Siphitrol. It is like flea bombing your home except you only do low traffic areas and under your couch, fridge, stove, washer, dryer, and other appliances. It lasts for seven months so you only spray your house twice per year. You still use whatever products you want on the animals in your house.

Any year where it is incredibly hot you will find a huge flea population, and if your weather does not drop below zero in the winter, they do not die!! That may be what is contributing to the break out of fleas in your house. also if you live near sand you tend to have more fleas than if you dont.
[notify]
Dakota- Breeze

Sweetest Little- Angel!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 3:18pm PST 
I know here in the Metro Atlanta area that the Frontline hasn't been working so good and many of the vet offices are only using Advantage (just advantage, none of those other Advantage products, some of those are um....a little questionable in the reactions being seen). I was having the same problem and just got to a point where they are gone. I washed the critters 2 days before and then two days later washed all the bedding, put Borax down on the carpet (I prefer non-toxic, Dakota has liver disease and Borax dehydrates the bodies and kills them, Boric Acid actually, which Borax pretty much is), put advantage on everyone the cat in a carrier and took the pooches to the dog park and the pet store...we were killing time while the borax did it's job (oh I put it on the sofa, chair ect. everything cloth like that could be vaccumed). After 3 hours, stuck the pooches in the kitchen, vaccumed and so far the fleas have been history for 2+ weeks. Hope this helps!!
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 3:22pm PST 
Fleas don't only come from outside.
Fleas do not actually live on a dog, they only jump onto the dog to feed. Flea eggs could be anywhere in your house, including the carpets, drapes, sheets or the dog's bedding.
I suggest bombing the house with a flea killer and thoroughly vaccuming the ehtire house.
[notify]
Maddie

I Can Run for- Miles

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 3:53pm PST 
Use Frontline plus... You might see new fleas on your dog some days but they will be dead within hours. Just make sure you put the frontline plus on then don't wash your dog or put water on him for a week.
[notify]
Brittany

Hello. Allow me- to introduce- myself...

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 4:09pm PST 
We are going through the same exact problem. My girl is going nuts. I sleep in her bed.I am going to get dipped this weekend.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2