GO!

I Ate a Bar of Soap!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Oban

Why walk when- you can run!

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 5:53am PST 
I ate a bar of soap...Irish Spring actually...yesterday. I have thrown up 3 times now. Once last night (my supper) and twice this morning. I still have an upset tummy and I look all sappy. I did eat my breakfast though. Slowly, but I did eat it. Should my Mom be worried?

Woof,
Oban
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 6:22am PST 
I looked up info on the aspca website and it said that if a few bites were consumed it would just cause upset stomach, diarrhea, or loose stools. If the whole bar of soap was ingested, like in your case, the same symptoms will apply but there is a cause of concern with the breaking down of the soap. It will probably be hard to break down and may lead to intestinal blockage. Keep a close eye on your pooch and don't be surprised if there is lots of loose stools or diarrhea for the next few days. With that in mind, make sure he is getting plenty of water to avoid dehydration. You may want to contact your vet just to make sure further measures don't need to be taken, I'm not sure about the ingredients in that soap so hopefully there is nothing poisonous in there. Good luck, hope everything works out and he feels better! hug
[notify]
Oban

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:14am PST 
Thanks for the info Nallah! Oban has thrown up 3 times so far. This morning he brought up several larger sized pieces of soap, so I am hoping it hasn't broken down much at all. I will definately keep an eye on him. I didn't know that soap could cause intestinal blockages!!!shock I'm quite worried now. But know what to look for as well.

Cheers,
Amy and Oban
[notify]

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:37am PST 
I agree with a quick call to the vet. I would worry if you swallowed the bar whole. Was it a brand new bar or smaller? Did you chew it up a lot? Your vet may have some suggestions on what to eat and drink to help it pass or come back out quicker and safely.

I hope it all comes out safely in the end.

Smoke, spring-fresh poopies
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:42am PST 
Check with your vet.

You may want an xray to make sure it isn't blocking anything.

Chicken broth and rice is gentle on the belly, but the Vet may suggest withholding food for 12 to 24 hours.

hughug
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 9:29am PST 
You crazy pup!!

I guess you can curse up a storm for a while and not worry about having your mouth cleaned out with soap, huh?

Irish Spring? I wonder if you could offer them an advertising deal?
KIDDING!

Now to be serious:

please, consider getting to the vet. If your parents have ever eaten soap, it isn't good for the tummy... it could burn, too... they used to make soap from lye, but don't any more.

Hugs and love to you, cutie!hughughug
Oban

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 2:27pm PST 
Thanks for all of your messages!hug I am feeling much better now and running around, although Mommy is trying to make me sit still. Ya right...is she forgetting that I am a Border Collie!?!big laugh Anyway, Mom called my vet today and they said that if I threw it up, which I did, I should be fine. Just for Mom to keep a close eye on me, feed me some chicken and rice, like what was suggested here, and lots of water. No rough play for a couple of days though.cry

I hope I am back to normal sooner then later though!

Love Obanwishes
[notify]
Nate

he's our angel- :)

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 6:55pm PST 
i ate part of a bar of soap once too. red facered face glad to hear you're feeling a bit better today.way to go
[notify]
PHOENIX

doggerbloggy.blo- gspot.com

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:53pm PST 
Funny, I was always threatened by this when I said dirty words... laugh out loud
I hope you're feeling better little cutie.
Maybe just give the vet a quick call, or even the Poison's Hotline (don't know if you have that over there..I'm guessing you would!) and check how dangerous that icky stuff is.

I don't mean to be silly or offend you but.... did he throw up bubbles? I've always wondered what happens if you eat it...

My pups ate an entire bottle of dishwashing liquid and 85 fish oil tablets, and I never noticed a thing.
[notify]