GO!

Raised liver enzymes? HELP

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Muffin- Sprinkles

The Muffinator

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:22pm PST 
I just got the most scarry news ever. Muffin went in for a spay today and I was called and advised her pre-operative blood work came out strange. Her liver enzymes are elevated and they aren't sure why. Has anyone ever heard of this?
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:35pm PST 
Have they (or are they) checked for a portosystemic shunt? That is where there is a blood vessel that is diverting blood flow around the liver, instead of through it. It's actually fairly common in yorkie puppies and corrected through (expensive) surgery.
[notify]
Dollybaby

Warning!! Dolly- at work!!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:40pm PST 
What did they call besides liver enzymes??

I have a few websites that you can look at but most likely they need more test before they know what it is there are different things that can cause that.

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/labtests.html

Oh i didn't expect so many with my high liver enzyme search on Pet Ed. Its a neat site!!

http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=2
[notify]

Telly Lam

Never met a- lampost I- couldn't pee on

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:43pm PST 
Which liver enzymes are elevated, and how high above normal? Sounds like you need to consult with your veterinarian at length.

Generally, we consider an elevation of 2x above upper reference limit in the dog to be significant, and worth further investigation. There are many different things that can cause liver enzymes to be elevated; their elevation is not diagnostic for a specific disease, it only signals that the liver cells (or possibly biliary cells, depending on which enzymes are involved) may be ill or injured. For example, infectious or inflammatory causes (liver inflammation), some congenital anomalies (e.g. some cases of portosystemic shunts, where the blood vessels that go from the gut to the liver are for some reason shunted), toxicities, and trauma (e.g. some dogs that get hit by car can have elevated liver enzymes due to blunt trauma of the organ).

If only mildly elevated, it may or may not be clinically significant.

As you are a puppy still, I would advise further investigation and look into your liver function, as this may affect your ability to handle anesthesia during your spay, depending on what kind of anesthetic protocol your vet uses. The preliminary test most vets use is called bile acids, which involves poking (blood samples are taken).

Here is some general information on lab values:

http://www.vin.com/Members/SearchDB/vp/vpa02393.htm
[notify]
Telly Lam

Never met a- lampost I- couldn't pee on

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:45pm PST 
...forgot to mention that in small breed dogs, two common congenital abnormalities of the liver worth ruling out include

portosystemic shunt and
microvascular hepatic dysplasia

which can (but not always) present with increased liver enzymes, with or without other signs or symptoms. so talk to your vet!

good luck.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:49pm PST 
We certainly don't claim to be as knowledgeable as some of these other illustrious pups smile, but one thing that wasn't mentioned is that maybe her diet is too high in protein. Our vet told us that too much protein can be a problem in the little ones. Just a thought. Good luck in finding out more. What you will find is that tons of dogsters will be very helpful, the internet offers a lot of good info, and your vet will need to give you more thorough explanations. Best wishes, and thanks for spaying.

Pokie's momhug
[notify]
Scooter

Yes i did it!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 1:56pm PST 
Muffin,
Are you on any meds?? or could have ingested anything not good for you?? Just like people the liver cleans the blood and stuff and when it over works or under works depending on what is happening with it certain blood things are high or low. You need the reast of your test results to decipher that. Vet should be able to give you some ideas best case - worst case you know or maybe he already has an idea id call vet back for more info.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1578&articleid =315

To look up hereditary dieases here a site.....

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm
[notify]
Ranger Thor- May- 1990-Aug.- 2006

love of my- mommys life!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 2:10pm PST 
Hey, when i was around, I was feeling very ill: not moving, eating, or even wanting to go for walks. I would not even walk outside to potty. Dont worry that is NOT why I am not here anymore. When my mommy saw me like this and things did not change for a few days, she took me in and the vet looked at my gums and noticed a discoloration and said that it may be my liver. Blood work was taken and mine was way off the chart. Cant remember what, but I was immediately given a shot of cortizone and then had to be on a low fat diet and taken antibiotics for a while. Vet said that if it was my liver, that I would come around in 12 hours...Hour after hour mommy waited just watching me lye there. About 12 am I came around and wanted to eat, walk and even go potty outside. snoopysnoopy
I dont know if that is the same thing and raised liver enzymes or not but I did have a very high liver count and survived.
[notify]
Muffin- Sprinkles

The Muffinator

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 6:28pm PST 
Thanks so much. I am just so worried about her. I'm pretty upset actually because I took her to Banfield Amimal Clinic and they did all these expensive things without asking me first and i just don't trust them with my girl. I think I will take her to another vet tomorrow and see what they say. This breaks my heart. My husband and I are in the process of buying a home and just don't know how I could pay for a really expensive surgery. Does anyone know what this kind of shunt surgery costs?
I would do what i had to do for her...but it's just a tough situation.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 9:36pm PST 
I sent you a pmail. Don't worry about surgery until you know the cause. Raised enzymes can be caused by a wide range of things. Good Luck and keep us posted.

hug

Hershey, Harley, and Domino
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2