GO!

Do dogs get hives?!?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jena, always- in our- hearts

Million dollar- doggie

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 12:50pm PST 
Jena just broke out in bumps all down her left side (cheek to flank.) She looked fine about 10 minutes ago, but now has these little bumps that are spreading down her legs and to her right side.
Her coat is short, so I can see her skin and I don't see any fleas/bugs, and the bumps aren't red, they're just slightly pink. We're off to the vet this afternoon, but just wondering if anyone else has seen this? Thanks.

ETA-Can't spell when I'm worried/freaked out!

Edited by author Sat Jul 7, '07 12:52pm PST

[notify]
♥Cinnamon♥

I HATE BSL!!!!!

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 12:54pm PST 
Yes dogs get hives Jena must of gotten bitten by something I know if cinnamon gets attacked by ants she gets hives good luckwishes

Edited by author Sat Jul 7, '07 12:55pm PST

[notify]
Kreuzer

All your cats- are belong to me

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 12:59pm PST 
Dogs can also break out in hives in response to certain plants, chemicals (anything from shampoos to lawn treatments), and some foods (allergy perhaps).
[notify]

Million dollar- doggie

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 1:20pm PST 
Thanks Cinnamon and Kreuzer! A friend was visiting and Jena was crawling in his lap, so I'm thinking it might be something on him (or him? laugh out loud)
Anyway, we're off to the vet...
[notify]
Faith

Pretty girl!

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 1:51pm PST 
I just had hives about 3 weeks ago. The vet gave a steriod shot and some antihystime(sp?). The hives cleared up in a couple of dayssmile
[notify]
Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 1:52pm PST 
Let us know what the vet says...Bucca once broke out into hives (I assumed they were, anyway) when training for therapy work. He took his first ride on an elevator and didn't like it much. It stressed him out so bad, that afterward I noticed these little bumps (pinkish, not red at all) all down his back. After he calmed down, they went away so I never took him to see a vet. This happened a while ago and I haven't seen him do that since...I'd be curious to see if I was right about what happened.
[notify]
Faith

Pretty girl!

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 2:14pm PST 
Some people get hives in response to stress that disappear quickly when the stressor disappears. So, I would think it would also make sense for it to be possible for a dog as well. When the hives linger is when it is an allergic response to something. For me the vet said I was most likely bit or stung by something.
[notify]

Million dollar- doggie

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 3:39pm PST 
We just got back from the vet--of course by the time she saw us, the hives were almost gone. Thankfully, I didn't get charged for the visit; I love my vet!
Anyway, the vet said what most of you have said: it could be a reaction to an insect bite (ant, bee, spider), a chemical (like soap or perfume), stress, or maybe food (probably not though, 'cause her mouth wasn't affected.) She said because they were resolving on there own, to give Jena 50mg of benadryl 2x a day for 3 days, and bring her back if they reoccur.
Wonder if the benadryl will make Jena as sleepy as it makes me? wink
[notify]
Faith

Pretty girl!

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 3:50pm PST 
Glad to hear that they are already clearing up. Mine took at least 2 days before there was any improvment and they were not gone till about day 5.smile
[notify]
babyhuey(in- memory- of..5/8/06)

did you say- walk?

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '07 12:55am PST 
you can look at my page and see a lovely allergic reaction picture. can't see the hives, just the swollen face...paws..huey
[notify]