GO!

Help! I ate a corn cob and mom's worried!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gromit

I'm just a happy- pup!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 4:30am PST 
Tuesday night I got into the trash and ate at least one maybe two corn cobs. I threw up a total of seven times today, at least, seven times that mommy knows of. I could've thrown up more times than that - and just ate it back up because I seem to want to eat my vomit after I throw it up frown I pooped twice yesterday and they poops seemed fine - a little soft, but nothing terribly unusual... Plus I'm eating and drinking fine.

Mommy wants to call the vet first thing in the morning, but I guess mommy just wants moral support. She's reading all this about possible intestinal blockage and it's scaring her because she just had to go through $700 for my brother's urinary tract infection! frown Please send me good vibes!

Edited by author Thu Jun 28, '07 4:41am PST

[notify]
Bodell

Bo--born to have- fun!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 4:55am PST 
Hey Gromit...I wouldn't worry...I am an old pro at eating corn cobs, and other fresh vegetables right out of the garden. When the corn is in season, I usually go out and pick an ear off and eat it all up, and I do the same for peas and beans. You have done the throw up thing so that is good, and maybe you might have the runs when it gets thru you, but otherwise don't worry about it!
Bodell
[notify]
Gromit

I'm just a happy- pup!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 4:58am PST 
Thanks Bodell! I think she just needed to be a little comforted with all the horrible stuff she was reading. She's still going to call the vet, but hopefully everything will be fine! You must love being able to eat those things from a garden! Mommy only wishes she has a garden right now!
[notify]

Charlie &- Buster - [RIP]

if you throw- it.......we will- chase it !

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 5:11am PST 
hi Gromit wave

Charlie used to raid my garden all the time big laugh

even ate a few ears of corn ........ i think you'll be fine.
the only veggie he hated [if you can call it a veggie] was mushrooms.
[notify]
Elvis

the- distinguished- gentleman

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 5:51am PST 
I ate a foot off my favorite squeeky rubber chicken. I was sick and had to get an xray. Mom had to follow me around for days and see if it came outbig laugh

I wouldn't worry about the cob, if you chompted it up a bit, the acids in your tummy should do the rest. Just keep an eye to be sure you are eating and drinking.

I bet we'd all agree these things are sooo much more fun going in than coming outbig laughbig laughlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 7:14am PST 
I'm going to rain on this corn cob parade. Corn cobs are very dangerous. If not chewed up completely they can and DO cause obstructions. At the ER clinic we probably removed a couple a year. We even removed one from a dog on New Year's when it had eaten the corn cob back in August. It had been kicking around in his stomach all that time and finally got stuck is his intestines months later!!eek

If you are vomiting, I recommend a trip to the vet ASAP! Let us know how you are doing. hug
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 7:16am PST 
Ditto what Beau said. Corn cobs are very dangerous. They don't digest well and cause serious problems.
Definitely a vet visit and x-rays.
[notify]
Gromit

I'm just a happy- pup!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 1:26pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your varied response! I have an appointment for the vet today and they will probably do some xrays if need be. Hopefully everything will be okay!
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 1:56pm PST 
Good luck!wave
[notify]
Georgie, CGC

Where's the- fun!! Let's- play now!!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 2:02pm PST 
Gromit, I hope everything is fine. Corn cobs are bad news. Be glad your mommy caught that you ate it.

Your vet is the best one to get advice from and we are glad you are going. It is not something to mess around with.

hughughughughughughug

Hope you don't need surgery but if you do, it is good you are going now and they will take good care of you. Please woof at us and let us know what the vet says.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2