GO!

Neosporin

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Roxy

ME! ME! ME!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '07 5:33pm PST 
Can you use Neosporin on a dog? My groomer shaved my dog way too close, and now she is getting scars/scabs. I'm a bit concerned about it. Can I put Neosporin on it?
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '07 5:37pm PST 
Yup. Funnily enough, I googled this exact same question yesterday, as Winnie had a weird cut on her lip. Just make sure he doesn't lick it off. I don't know the effects of eating Neosporin, but I'd cover the area just in case.
[notify]
Shane

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '07 5:40pm PST 
So far as I know you can put neosporin on dogs. I'm not sure if it would be the best way to aid the healing process for your pup's scabs. We've used it on our pups when they've gotten scrapes and cuts. If your pup licks the neosporin off then I wouldn't continue using it and maybe consult your vet (or some fellow dogsters!) for other suggestions. Shane loves neosporin (and hand lotion and vitamin E oil, and other weird stuff) so I can't use it on him if he can reach the spot with his tongue.

But the area your talking about should probably heal on its own too. Does your pup lick it a lot or bite at it? That will stop it from healing well and you might want to prevent that from happening (we have those elizabethean/cone collars from past surgeries that we saved to use for things like that). Otherwise you should be able to let it heal on its own (and maybe talk to your groomer to let them know they need to adjust their technique with your pup!).

If you're still unsure you may want to just give your vet a call. They should be able to tell you over the phone what they recommend.

We hope your scabs heal up quickly and you're back to normal being so cute in your outfits in no time!
[notify]

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '07 7:13pm PST 
Neosporin is safe to use on a dog as long as you don't eat it. We've also used Benadryl cream and hydrocortisone cream (1%) for itchies. Our vet told us those would be OK things to use if needed for their intended purpose....just no licking (there's where the dreaded cone comes in). You could also put on a light t-shirt over it, if you have one that fits.

When I had my lumpectomy last fall, they shaved me a bit close and gave me some razor burn. Mom did use a little Neosporin with pain relief in it for a day or two. My rash was on my shoulder/back so I couldn't really lick it. She made me wear a t-shirt so I couldn't scratch my stitches. A cone wouldn't have worked there.

The Neosporin with pain relief in it helps to make the spot not itch and hurt so much so you'll furget about messing with it.

Smoke, hates itching
[notify]
Penny

Penny: Smart AND- Sweet

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 1:31am PST 
I'm not sure about dogs' use. If a veterinarian has told someone that it's safe, then it probably is. However, a co-worker of mine used a small amount on her cat, and the cat ended up having seizures. Just be careful!
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 2:39am PST 
My veterinarian recommended it for minor cuts and scrapes for Addy.

Cats are different; they're sensitive to a lot of things that dogs aren't, and more sensitive to a lot of things dogs are sensitive to. (Which is part of the reason more cats than dogs died from the contaminated food.)
[notify]
Roxy

ME! ME! ME!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 4:58am PST 
Winnie & Shane,
Thanks for your quick responses. Winnie, so nice of you to pre-see my need for you to google research on this topic! You are right Shane, it will probably heal on its own. I just wanted to "ward off infection."

We won't be going back to that groomer. I don't know how she got so low on a dog I asked her to leave the facial hair a bit long!

You both added perspective for me because I was getting a bit nervous and probably blowing it out of proportion!!!

Thanks again!
Roxy
[notify]
Roxy

ME! ME! ME!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 5:03am PST 
Smokie, Penny & Addy,

Thanks for posting. I tried a little on her nose area last night. She seemed unaware it was there! It's either looking a little better or I'm not as shocked as I was at first!smile

Thanks everyone for helping me in my stress!

Roxy
[notify]