GO!

Recovery from an FHO?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 2:25pm PST 
Hey all, I will most likely be taking a little 4 month old shepherd mix into foster care soon after it has an FHO. I know someone who has taken care of two dogs after they had this same surgery, so she's giving me some tips, but (as always!) I'd like to know more!

Have any doggies here had an FHO? How was recovery? How long did it take, what kinds of special things did your mom/dad have to do to help you through it? I hear that the dog has to put weight on the leg the day after, increasing gradually, so how did your mom/dad help you with that?
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 5:29pm PST 
Jasmine,
I had one, but only because of an emergency, and my recovery would be very different...

I know there have been other pups that have had it done, so

*bump*

Hugs to you!
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 5:33pm PST 
Hi Sammy! wave I was actually thinking about sending you a p-mail. Thanks for the hug

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 8:00am PST 
Anywoof?? No physical therapy ideas out there?
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 8:54am PST 
O.k.

One of the PT things I had to do was sit on my Dad's knee at first. That strenghtened my quadracept muscle (not sure if that will be an issue for the pup).

Then I was put on a large yoga ball to get my balance (you would have to see it to know how to do it).

Basically walking was the best thing to do right after the surgery, but I couldn't.

From what I read, 10 days after surgery, when the inscission heals, they say the sooner you can get them to play, the better! It forces healing!

If you find the leg length is uneven, then you will want to put a pad under the shorter leg while eating or standing... and encourage eating while standing, using a tray or stool.

Hope that helps!

hug
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 10:49am PST 
My sister's dog had an FHO when she was about 5 months old. She had a dislocated hip, fractured pelvis in several places , and a broken femur on the other side. Youch!!! Anyway, this dog has done simply amazing after her surgery. She's about 7 months old now, and while she 'bunny hops' when she runs, when she walks she has pretty much full range of motion. Scully was pretty painful the next day, but within three days, she was acting like nothing had ever happened.

You can try to do some gentle PT to strech the muscles, and massage the leg. But really, after the surgery, things should heal fairly well on their own, especially with it being a young puppy.
[notify]
Abbey

pampered pooch

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 11:26pm PST 
Abbey had a double FHO when she was about 8 months old. The vet said it was one of the worst cases of hip dysplasia they had seen. It has been about 3.5 months since her surgery. Now she is happy and can run and jump on the couch and just jumped on the bed the other day. I can even see improvement the last few weeks. The first few weeks after surgery were no "walk in the park" no pun intendedlaugh out loud She would only walk a few steps then sit down. Upon vets advice we walked her and was told not to feel sorry for her for at least 15 minutes twice a day for the first few weeks. They like to get them moving as soon as possible after surgery. Abbey did go thru physical therapy for a couple of weeks at the vet school but the underwater treadmill really helped her build stamina. They would use it about 10 min a time or two a day. Less pressure underwater and they can move better. Check into your local area and see if you can find a place that offers an underwater treadmill abbey did this for the first 2 weeks after surgery and I could tell a huge difference. Also be very picky about who does the surgery they should have some experience a common problem my vet school said was taking off too much bone or not taking off enough and then having to redo this. Ouch!! Abbey siad no way it is pretty painful for a few days and a few weeks but pain meds help and in a few months your pup will be running and you will be so gladyou had the surgery. Paw mai me if you have any Q.
[notify]