GO!

Friends Dog Ate D-Con Rat poison/ HELP

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bruiser

I will do- ANYTHING for- treats!!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:28pm PST 
My friends dogs ate D-Con rat poison between 6 and 8 PM. When she came home @ 8 PM and discovered it she immediately called the vet and was told to give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting which she did and they vomited. The one dog seemed to be the culprit because she had vomited up D-Con, the other did not. The vet wants to wait till tomorrow morning to give a vitamin K shot. Should she wait till morning? Should she be really worried? Does anybody have any advice or experience with this? Please help!!!
Thank-you.
thinking
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:35pm PST 
If they threw up, just make sure they do not get really lethargic and keep checking gums. If the gums get really pale go to ER. Might want to induce the other one one more time to make sure they didn't eat it too.
[notify]
Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:35pm PST 
OMD ! are you near an emergency vet clinic ?
i would try every vet in the area. i can't imagine a vet not wanting the dog brought in , regardless of vomiting ..... after eating rat poison ! eekeekeek
how is the dog now?

wish i could be more helpful .
[notify]

Louie

me too! MMMEEEE- TTTOOOOO!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:37pm PST 
um I would race to the emergency vet right away. Yes, the dog threw up but how do they know they got all of it out of his system. Personally I wouldn't take any chances.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:38pm PST 
Waiting until tomorrow morning is probably fine. Do you know if it is a rat poison that says Vit K1 is the antidote on the box? If so, it takes 2-3 days for those poisons to cause any changes in bloodwork and can take 3-5 days for symptoms to show up. The good thing about this is that you can wait overnight to start treatment.
[notify]
Bruiser

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:40pm PST 
The one that ate it (the d-con) is drinking some water (twice) and laying down (which isn't that unusual for her) but is lethargic. The other one seems fine.
[notify]
Bruiser

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:42pm PST 
Beau...That is what the vet said as well. The rat poison also states that vit k should be administered in animals.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 6:56pm PST 
Waiting til morning should be OK then. But be sure they go first thing to get started on the medication.
[notify]
Bruiser

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 7:09pm PST 
Thanks soooo much for the advice everyone!!!smile
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 7:28pm PST 
How much does the dog weigh? It would probably be ok to wait until morning for the vitamin K. However, if the dog is small (say 15 pounds or less), you don't think he brought up all of the poison, and this just happened within the past couple hours, it might be beneficial to take him in for activated charcoal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2