GO!

Incision from dew claw removal....yuck

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 9:13pm PST 
Hi....Piper was spayed on wed and also had her back dew claws removed. They were "double" dew claws that were HUGE and had to come off before they got ripped off. Anyways, the incisions are quite big because the dew claws were so big. They are about 6 inches long. They are still bleeding a little and weeping. I am re bandaging every day and today I started putting polysporin on too.

How long do they take to heal? Her tummy incision looks fine but her legs don't look great, the skin doesn't seem to be falling together very well and it is possibly starting to get infected. Unfortunately, I have been at work and she gets the bandages off during the day, and then I spend an hour wrestling a 75lb dog to bandage her legs.I am a Paramedic and know plenty about humans, but I am not sure about this!!!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 9:19pm PST 
Most incisions heal within two weeks. I imagine the legs would probably take a bit longer than average though, since there's so little tissue there.

Long story short, she needs to keep the bandages on. I would bet a lot that she's licking all day while you're gone, which is introducing infection and keeping the wounds open. Get an Ecollar, a Bite-Not collar, Bitter Apple, whatever you need to do. It won't heal unless she leaves it alone.

If you think it's infected, she needs to see a vet for antibiotics. Infection in a wound that big is pretty serious.
[notify]
Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 9:23pm PST 
Thats what I figured. I have gotten a different kind of wrap now, and she doesn't seem to bite it....it spongier. I'm hoping the Polysporin will help with healing and infection......I'll see what it looks like tomorrow after work, if it still looks bad, we're going back to the vet.
[notify]

Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 10:14pm PST 
Dewclaw removal incisions are some of the hardest to heal. There is little tissue to work with so there is often a lot of tension on the incisions. Add to that an active puppy and an area that is easy for them to lick and you often have problems getting those to heal.

If you have any concerns, take her back to your vet for a recheck.
[notify]
Buddy

What!! It wasn't- me!!!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 7:24am PST 
Dewclaws are difficult when it comes to healing. Shiva had hers removed at the time of her spay and they were not completely healed for about 3 weeks. She had to have them resutured because she chewed out the stiches the day after surgery. She wore the e-collar until it was healed. IF you are having problems with the sutures I would say go back to the vet.
[notify]
Sophie Sue

Check us out at- Dolittler.com!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 9:00am PST 
Beau had it right--this is always a tough-healer. Sounds like an e-collar is in order, too. If the area looks angry and weepy then your vet might want to use some antibiotics (or colloidal silver if he/she's into alternative medicine). Frequent wrapping after gentle cleansing with clean water is the best approach but, at some point, the bandages might be better off than on.
Dr. Patty Khuly
www.dolittler.com
[notify]
Brigetta

RESCUE!!!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 9:13am PST 
Just wanted to say that I hope Piper heals quickly.
[notify]
Bruce

Yippie! Spring- is here :)

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 11:05am PST 
I ripped my bandages off right away but with the e-collar I managed to let them heal. My brother left his alone but one leg just wouldn't close up so the vet ended up putting some staples in instead of the sutures. He had bandages and staples for about 1 month cry

Hope you get better fast wishes
[notify]
Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 5:35pm PST 
Thanks everyone. she didn't rip off the bandages today! YAY! They look a lot better than yesterday. I think I will continue with the polysporin and wrap I am using for a couple more days until I see some good healing and then I will take them off and let them heal in the air.

I totally recommend that self adhesive wrap! It has been a miracle. When I used just gauze kling wrap, she had it off in seconds.....

PS: i got home today and she has a cut on the top of her head. It looks like she bumped her head on something really sharp??? I can't figure out what though...my best guess is the eavestrough downspout???? Poor Piper has so many owies....
[notify]