GO!

OTC Painkillers for dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Sat May 26, '07 4:25pm PST 
Our other dog, Barney, is 15. His legs appear to ache a lot and we think he has arthritis. Are there any OTC pain relievers we could give him that would ease the pain but not be toxic? Thanks.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Sat May 26, '07 4:50pm PST 
The only OTC pain killer that is not toxic to dogs is aspirin but even that has a very narrow range of safety. There are now pain medications you can get through your vet that are not only far more effective than aspirin but far safer for their tummies. If your older dog is having problems, he should have a thourough check up and be prescribed the best pain medication for his situation by your veterinarian.
[notify]
Dollybaby

Warning!! Dolly- at work!!

Barked: Sat May 26, '07 7:56pm PST 
If its just occasional there is a horse linament you could try Absorbine there is also a human version absorbine Jr same ingreadients. But it cheaper for a big bottle of it at feed store for horses. I used it on my goats,and use it on my Moe hes my big furbabie when he needs it. Moe doesn't lick at it though,may not be good to use if you got a licker.They may not cause it smells nasty. But you could ask your vet,if it would be ok to use.

Drugs can cause big problems if it is a reacurring use,over time.Also if you use asprin remember to ask vet the dose its by weight and a kids dose can OD some doggys.
[notify]

Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 4:46am PST 
i use previcox (no steroids in it) for my 1 male that tore ligaments in his hind leg a couple of years ago and i've used vitamin c and glucosamine/chrondriton with msm for fosters i've had with arthritis and dysplasia with great success! better success then the meds from the vet that come with them!

dog
[notify]
Jackson

Lovebug- so loveable

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 8:16am PST 
My vet let me give Jackson (5 lbs.) one half of one 81 mg. baby (not regular) aspirin for breakthrough pain. Only baby aspirin though because of his size, not regular adult strength.
[notify]
Winnie- in Loving- Memory

I'm Winnie!

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 10:01am PST 
we used baby aspirin for winnie in her old age due to her arthritis
[notify]
Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 3:31pm PST 
Thanks guys! I'll tell my family all this (especially baby aspirin, seems the easiest to get), and see what they want to do.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 8:50pm PST 
But Zelda, you need to know exactly what your dog weighs in order to give them the proper dose. And aspirin should only be used sparingly. If your older pet needs a daily pain medication, you should get that from your vet. It really is the best thing for them in the long run.
[notify]