GO!

Getting a urine sample?!?!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jack-Jack

Poms for Obama- 08!

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 4:53pm PST 
The other day Jack's holistic vet took a blood sample. One of the front desk girls called today and said the vet wanted a urine sample, because one of his kidney values was high. She wasn't sure which one. I have been trying all day to get a urine sample by sticking a tupperware container attached to a yard stick under him when he pees, but he immediately stops. Any advice on how I should get a sample? He goes back to the vet tomorrow for acupuncture, would it be horrible if I had them needle collect it if I can't?? I don't want to keep waiting to get a urinalysis. Thanks.
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 5:14pm PST 
Ahhh.... that brought back fond memories of me slinking behind Kiona, trying furtively to slip a pan under her every time she squatted. She kept stopping mid squat, shooting me a dirty look, and trotting away, with me on her heels. It totally exasperated her.

I just kept at it. Finally she had enough of being shy and peed, and I got it!!! That was the most precious little pan full of doggie pee pee in the world.

So, that is my advice. He has to go eventually, right? BOL!!
Cara

Take That! You- naughty deer!

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 5:45pm PST 
If you are unable to get it on your own you can ask the vet if they can either pass a urinary cathater to get the sample or perform a cystocentisis (pass a needle through the side of the abdomen into the bladder). These are both performed frequently in vet med as outpatient procedures which means it should be really easy for the vet to get it done in a easy office call.

Otherwise just keep at it and like Kona said they have to go sometime!!
[notify]

Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 7:19pm PST 
After numerous attempts, I opted for a very big bowl of water and kept Cherry in for a few hours, so when she went out it was a must go now type potty break and she didn't care at that point

Never tried with a boy dog, but wish you luck and patience!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 11:40pm PST 
Meridian had a bladder infection when she was about 3, and they had to use a needle to get a urine sample. I'm super duper sensitive to my girl having to go thru anything she shouldn't, but they said it went great. I was sitting right on the other side of the door, and if it didn't, I'd have heard! This particular clinic had sedatives on had that they told me they'd use if they HAD to, but she handled it fine without.

The dog experience really is different than the human one, and what's a big deal to us is frequently no biggie to them (and vice versa). In the interest in diagnosing a problem and saving future suffering, I'd let Jack experience the quick and easy needle.

It sounds rough, but it seems it's not that bad. The plus is that the sample will probably be more accurate than one obtained by giving him a bunch of water and/or taking it under weird circumstances!
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Fri May 18, '07 4:04am PST 
If he pees on a hard surface (like the floor) you can suck it up with a syringe. That is what I have done for fosters that have had pee problems before.
But if he is a good boy and always goes outside where he is suppose to that will be hard.
[notify]
Parker

Canine Executive- Officer

Barked: Fri May 18, '07 7:36am PST 
Thanks for all of your suggestions! We just got back from the holistic vet. She said his BUN was a teeny bit high, but it could be from being raw fed or just from being a Pom, since they have a tendency to have a high BUN. His creatanine was perfect, thankfully!! Despite what the receptionist said, she doesn't think getting a urine sample needs to be immediate, so I'm going to try to get one this weekend, and if I do, take it in. If not, we'll catheterize him to get a sample next week. She didn't want to stick a needle in his bladder or cath him during his first acupuncture session. Thanks everypup!!
[notify]