GO!

I sound like a duck!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gunner, NPC

I love Spring!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 12:33am PST 
The last couple of days I've been making these sounds, it sounds like a duck honking and it's like something is caught in my throat. It's not reverse sneezing, Mom knows what that is and I do that but this is different. It's 2:30 am and I just had this little spell of it. Mom may call the vet in the morning to see what is what is wrong. Once this "honking" gets started then I try to throw up but nothing comes up. Anyone have any idea what this is or had it happen before? I'm really hoping he doesn't have any throat problems. Thanks!!
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 7:05am PST 
It sound like kennle cough. I had that happen after my cousin dog came over. Don't take any medicine for it though. Let it pass and you will become immune to that strain. When it flares up you can swallow a teaspoon of honey, after you do you might cough a couple more times but your cough will stop for a good while. It will last as long as the human cold(2 or 3 weeks).

I do still cough after I bark but only because my air way is messed up alittle because of constanly breathing ammona when I was at my last owners house.. You'll be fine way to go
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 10:58am PST 
That's called "honking cough" and happens most often in kennel cough. It can mean other things too, it's caused by fluid/mucous in the lungs/airways.
It's a good idea to see the vet, if it's kennel cough you can get either Robitussin DM or a guaifenesin/hydrocodone cough supressant from the vet and some antibiotics to prevent complications. It's a long and bothering disease, similar to a human cold.

But a vet visit would be good just to rule out other causes.
[notify]

Gunner, NPC

I love Spring!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 3:03pm PST 
Well we went to the vet and luckily it's not kennel cough! I just have allergies but the vet told Mom to give me some Benadryl before bedtime. So I'm hoping that it will clear up soon. Maybe Mom can get some sleep tonight! BOL! She just wanted to make sure it wasn't kennel cough since we've been around other dogs lately at obedience school.
[notify]
Ellie Mae

ELLIE MAE

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 9:40pm PST 
is it not kennel cough maybe.. thats what it kind of sounds like
[notify]
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 10:05pm PST 
Yay! I'm glad it's not Kennel Cough!

Good for you for taking her to the vet! applausehail
[notify]