GO!

staph infection in joint! HELP

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

George

It's good to be- me

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 7:28pm PST 
My dog George has a staph infection in his joint and we have been unable to get rid of it. He has had it washed out and had his hardwear from his TPLO surgery last July taken out to make sure it was not the cause. He was on Zeniquin when the inflamation came back. Any info on this would be helpful.
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 7:42pm PST 
He needs strong antibiotic therapy, long term. Just make sure they don't give him Cyprofloxacin (or any fluoroquinolones) or rifampicin (they both can have some nasty side effects). Even if they are the most efficient on staph infections the side effects make it not worth it.
[notify]
George

It's good to be- me

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 5:45am PST 
Thanks for the info. He was on Zeniquin for almost a month when the infection came back. Our vet seems to be worried about that.
[notify]

Louie- (Angel)- 2001-2011

chicks dig scars

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 8:33am PST 
George, I'm so sorry to hear about your infection. I am recovering from a TPLO myself and my mom has joined a group called Orthodogs on yahoo. There is a lady there who's boxer had a deep joint/bone infection following his TPLO. She ended up having to do injections into his open wound directly with a huge powerful human antibiotic. I don't want to scare you with his horror story, but she might have some good ideas based on experience of what might help. If you are interested in joining the group and getting in touch with her, I can get you all the info. She has been a huge help to those of us who either had infection scares or ended up with an actual infection. Orthodogs is a great ortho-specific group with tons of experienced people on there and I really think they might be able to help you.

By the way, you say it's a staph infection. Have the done an actual culture of your infection? Is it MRSA?

No matter what, I hope you get better soon! hug
[notify]
Louie

me too! MMMEEEE- TTTOOOOO!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 9:14am PST 
George do you know what type of staph infection it is? can you ask your vet? depending on what type it is this could either be easily rememdied or very dangerous.
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 11:04am PST 
Zeniquin is a fluoroquinolone.

Why didn't he try Keflex first? Also make sure your baby has enough probiotics for such a long term antibiotic therapy.
[notify]
Louie- (Angel)- 2001-2011

chicks dig scars

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 11:53am PST 
Maya's right about the probiotics, especially if you end up on harsh antibiotics. You can get probiotics from either a good quality yogurt with no added suger and live cultures or from priobiotic pills. Either way, take the probiotics about 1 hour after the antibiotics. If you take them together the anitbiotics just cancel out the probiotics.
[notify]