GO!

Toenail Injury

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
King

King

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 7:57pm PST 
King tore his entire toenail off his right front foot this evening. All that is left is the naked quick and he even took off part of the tip of it frown

We went to the emergency vet and we have some pain medicine and a solution to mix with water to soak his foot in.

They were going to have to sedate him before the vet could do anything for him because he growled at her. So we just took instruction and bought what we needed and I cleaned his foot up.

Is there any type of boot, shoe or bandage we can buy to keep on it at times ?

I put one of my socks over his foot and it was causing him pain when he walked because the sock was touching the quick.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 8:08pm PST 
Oh yeah, Vance did that Saturday afternoon.

There's really nothing you can "do" for it. You give it time and the quick dries out and the nail regrows. Just make sure it doesn't get infected (it sounds like the solution is probably to prevent infection). Keep up the pain meds as long as you feel they're necessary.

Our vet also recommended covering it with a sock, but I have a feeling that will just get me one dog-chewed sock. As long as no licking is happening, I'm leaving well enough alone.
[notify]
King

King

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 8:11pm PST 
King has licked his foot a few times. He isn't doing it constantly.

I may have to put the sock back on his foot to keep him from licking if he keeps it up.
[notify]

Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 8:24pm PST 
Oh how awful for you King! frown We hope it heals up fast! hug
[notify]
Rosie- *FOUND*

www.findrosie.co- m

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 6:16am PST 
Poor King and Vance! I'm having a similar issue, but not as bad. Rosie tore up the pad to one of her dew claws, so it's pretty easy to keep it covered with a bandage. She hasn't been chewing, so I'm bandaging when I can supervise her and leaving it uncovered when I can't.

Anyone got any bright ideas for amusing a high energy girl who really can't be walking or moving much? She's already bored with frozen Kongs. My usual thing would be wearing her out mentally - but she really needs to stay still except for potty breaks.

I guess that wasn't very helpful, was it? But I empathise!
[notify]
King

King

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 6:26am PST 
We are going to have a hard time keeping King calm, too.

We have already taken every ball we have and hid it in a closet.

He caught his toenail in the fence while going after his ball and he yelped when it happend but he still wanted someone to throw his ball frown

We had to put the ball up and get him still so I could get the bleeding stopped and get him ready to go.

If you come up with any good ideas, Rosie let us know and we will do the same.
[notify]
Tully

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 7:28am PST 
Tully did this once chasing the squirrels in the yard. Much more traumatic for us, though. She really could have cared less. But she has also had a good number of leg/foot licking issues so we have tried many a licking remedy.

- When she cracked her nail, the vet put a gauze pad right around it then wrapped her foot and leg in that cotton batting, like they would use under a cast, and wrapped that in the bandage/ace bandage tape. That provided padding from the pain, but not the licking and trying to get it off.

- What has worked for us almost 99% of the time with licking is using a deterrant spray, like Bitter Apple. Get a really good amount of spray not only on the affected area, but around it so he doesn't even get close. And a double effect is the alcohol in the spray helps keep the area clean and dry.

- If all else fails, the E-Collar is the quickest and usually most effective solution. King will put on the pouty face for sure and you'll probably wind up with curved indentations on the back of your legs, but it will work.

Good luck!!! And if you find anything that works better, please let me know!

Natasha and Tully
[notify]
Cotton, TDI,- CGC, TFP-I,- FMX

You can't resist- me.

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 8:31am PST 
This does seem to be quite a common injury. Cotton did something similar last summer but she only limped one time then kept on running as usual. When I saw that her dew claw was bent, cracked, bleeding and even slightly dislocated, we took her to the vet. He cut off the majority of the dew claw (he swore that the injection would prevent her from feeling the cut but she cried anyway).
Anyway, these injuries tend to heal quite quickly. Before you know it, the nail will regrow and you will once again be complaining about cutting the nails. I did use a crew length sock on Cotton and taped it just below her joint so she could move freely but could not lick off the medication.
Good luck keeping your pup quiet. That is everyone's frustration with an injury or spay/neuter. They do not care that they are hurt, they just want to play and be normal. The best way to keep Cotton still is to be still myself. Perhaps you could find a good book and find a nice place to cuddle with your pup for a day or two. I know that is easier said than done. Good luck.
wave
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 9:07am PST 
Vance got his nail caught in the track of a sliding door, right as another dog hit him full-speed from behind. He is just ticked off about the whole thing, and fairly sore still so I haven't had any trouble keeping him quiet. All he wants to do is lie around and glare at things.

No E collars for us, since he also has a 3/4 inch laceration to the ear. Separate incident. We're in bad shape, over here. I'm about to go try the sock thing.

I'm not overly concerned about how active they are with a toenail injury. If the dog is ok with it, I am. As long as you're keeping it clean and disinfected, I don't think there will be a problem. I'd always give it a day to scab over, but as long as there's low risk of it breaking open again... I know one dog who's ripped off both her dew claw nails now, and she's always back in daycare a day later, running like a maniac. She's never had any problems.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 9:35am PST 
Here we are: Vance's new look. Complete with pathetic glare.

Interestingly enough, he seems to be ignoring the sock. I was sure he'd try to chew it off. He's definitely mad about it, though.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2