GO!

Neem oil and ear infections

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Shelby

I love to meet- everyone!

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 10:01am PST 
Hi All,

Has anyone ever heard of using Neem oil for a dog's ear infections? A friend recommended I drop 1 or 2 drops per day into my Husky's ears to clear up her chronic ear yeast infections. My vet had never heard of it (Neem oil is from India and is used there for many things). If anyone else has used it, I'd appreciate hearing from you!
[notify]
Milhous

You wanna piece- of me?

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 11:39am PST 
I've never heard of Neem oil - but you can use a vinegar solution for chronic yeast infections. Vinegar is acetic acid, which kills yeast. Do a 1 part white vinegar to 9 parts distilled water and put a few drops in the ear 2-3 times per day when there's an active infection. Of course, do this after you clean the ears with an ear cleaning solution. You can put a few drops in each ear once a week or every few days if a dog has chronic yeast infections. Always make sure you dry out your dog's ears after they've had a bath. I've known people to tie back cocker spaniels' ears with a stretchy fabric headband just to get better air exposure.

Chronic ear infections are very often the result of food allergies, so getting those under control will help. Also, there is usually bacteria with the yeast so if the vinegar doesn't help, your dog should see the vet for antibiotics.
[notify]