GO!

Carrots- Good for the eyes??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Digger ~In- Loving- Memory~

Australian pride- ;D [<3 Sunny]

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 10:17pm PST 
Mum was wondering this when she gave me some pieces of carrots.

If carrots are good for human eyes...do they do anything to us dogs eyes??

thankshug
Digger
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 10:47pm PST 
Just like vitamin A is good for people eyes, I bet it's good for dog eyes, too. Carrots and their beta carotene are a really good source of vitamin A for people, but I don't know that they'd do much for a dog. Dogs can't break apart the cell walls in a raw carrot with their teeth like a person can, so not much beta-carotene would be imparted. Liver's high in vitamin A. Maybe liver's good for dog eyes?

Hmmm... Now that I'm thinking about this, I'm wondering if a dog's body even converts beta carotene into usable vitamin A as effectively as a person's does (or at all)?
[notify]
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 10:57pm PST 
Not sure about eyes, but I know carrots are good for dogs. Healthy I mean. I feed them weekly smile
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 11:00pm PST 
What are the nutritional benefits that a carrot can impart to a dog? What can a carrot give that an animal product can't give better? How do you suggest we feed them? Raw, steamed, boiled, whole, juiced, pulped?
[notify]
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 11:06pm PST 
Carrots are fine, but you need to keep them to less than 10 percent of the total diet. If you give your dogs too many, you could unbalance the diet. Be sure to give them in small pieces or that they are chewed thoroughly to prevent blockages as well.

They can be given raw, but I boil and mash mine for Dulce.

They are pretty much good for them like they're good for us. Veggies are healthy snacks.

It is an excellent idea to supplement your dog's diet with fresh vegetables, and especially in substitution for a chew. Many dogs like carrots, and there is nothing harmful about providing the odd raw carrot. Their diet, as in humans, should consist of a lot of different things in moderation. Your dog can eat any vegetables that humans eat, provided that they are in moderation. A little left over vegetables from the family meal the night before are an excellent addition to your dog's meal.

Does that answe ryour question?
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 12:07am PST 
Dulce, i heard the same thing about carrots.

I cut them up into little pieces every once in a while and mix them in with dog food. It couldn't hurt to put some in!

Edited by moderator Tue Mar 13, '07 10:51am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Digger ~In- Loving- Memory~

Australian pride- ;D [<3 Sunny]

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 12:18am PST 
Intersting. Mum learnt something new today. We will keep that in mind. big grin puppy

Thanks a bunch of bones!
hug
Digger
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 5:25am PST 
We get one raw carrot each every other day, cut in about 2 inches length pieces as yummy treats. They do good for our teeth being clean, we don't digest all of it though even if we chew on them very well, Mommy always finds little pieces in our land mines outside.
[notify]
♥- Skylar- ♥

Once a princess,- always a- princess!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 2:50pm PST 
Yum! We get steamed carrots with our Thursday evening meal smile
[notify]
Annie

Daddy's baby- girl 2

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 4:09pm PST 
I love carrots! My Daddy gives me a baby carrot a couple of times a week.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2