GO!

hair missing around one eye

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maddie

Mine , Mine,- Mine

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 9:05pm PST 
Hello I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this,,, My girl has had hair missing from around her right eye for about 3 weeks now. We took her to the Vet and they gave her antibiotic and some drops but didnt really diagnose her ... said it could be a staff infection,, Now the inside of her eye is completely normal; looking . No itching ,oozing or dryness of redness for that matter. I plan on taking her back in tomarrow but I am not sure if I trust my Vet it is a new place we went to and although he seemed very nice I am just trying to do some research for myself
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 10:32pm PST 
Hair missing from around the eye is a classic symptom of demodectic mange. This can be easily diagnosed with a skin scraping. So I'd ask your vet for one.

There's some information about demodectic mange here. It's a fairly common ailment (especially in puppies and dogs with suppressed immune systems), in which the population of demodex mites on a dog (it's normal for dogs to have these mites) gets out of control. The treatment is usually one which kills off the mites, though many dogs will get better simply with immune system support. The disease is primarily caused by a weak immune system.
[notify]
Maddie

Mine , Mine,- Mine

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 10:46pm PST 
Thank you for your responce I will definatelt ask my Vet as asap!
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 10:56pm PST 
Mange was my first thought upon reading the title of this thread, too. I don't have much to add, but wanted to second Fudge's post.

Oh yeah, I do have something! It may be too late, but I wanted to remind you NOT to wash her or clean her eye before you go to the vet for a skin scraping. Mange mites (demodectic or sarcoptic) can be pretty hard to find sometimes, and you don't want to wash away any helpful "evidence".
[notify]
Maddie

Mine , Mine,- Mine

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 6:07am PST 
Great point Meridian! Thanks for the heads up!
[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 6:33am PST 
I concure with everyone who's already posted. This sounds like mange.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem with GSD's, but I had one growing up that had the same problem. He was loosing the fur around his eyes. We brought him to the vet and they did testing and found no evidence of mange.

One year later he had almost no fur left on his body, his skin was cracking, oozing and raw. We spent so much money in vet bills trying to figure out what was wrong. Some vets told us it could be he was highly allergic to everything!! Others told us that appeared to be mange, but skin scrapings come up with nothing. He died at a young age, and after that they did an autopousy to figure out what it was. I was in high school at the time and remember clearly that the vet then told my mother that it was a rare case of mange (can't remember what it was called) which is why it was hard for any vets to find or confirm.

So bring him to the vet quickly and don't rest till you have a defiante answer, even if it means spending some big bucks!
[notify]
Lily

support your- local shelter!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 7:20am PST 
Lily had hair loss around one eye. The vet did a skin scrape and ruled out mange and ring worm. Lily was then put on some antibiotics for an "overgrowth of bacteria". That also did not help. Right now the vet thinks her hair loss/scratching is due to allergies so she is on OTC allergy meds which seems to be helping. Anytime you have hair loss around the eyes it's pretty much a case of ruling things out untill you find the culprit. Start with a skin scrape and it that doesn't yield anything, ask your vet about possible allergies. I would also change her shampoo to something organic. That has helped Lily as well.
[notify]
Maddie

Mine , Mine,- Mine

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 5:34pm PST 
Thank you for everyone who answered our post, I took Maddie in today and the vet did a scrape around her eye and he said there was nothing to show as mites/mange but he decided to treat her anyway as mentioned it can be very hard to diagnose. He seemed to be a little puzzled about it only being affected around her eye and no where else,,,,,,????? Any thoughts???
Thanks again ~!!
[notify]
Cleo

Support Rescue

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 6:19pm PST 
One of our pound dogs had the same thing, but the vet said he thought she'd have hair missing around the edges of her ears, too. Did a scraping and ruled out mange. It went away after she'd been on a healthy diet for awhile. Good luck!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 9:56pm PST 
What treatment did your vet suggest?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2