GO!

Reverse Hiccup...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

♥- Petey Boy- ♥

A Little Guy- with a BIG- HEART!!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 1:43pm PST 
I know yorkies get these, However Petey had a reverse hiccup spells that lasted all morning. It woke him up and he had about 10 episodes this morning that lasted about 10 min. He doing fine now but I not sure if I should be worried? Any thoughts? He never had spells like thatshrug
[notify]
Puck

Puck is my name- Mischief is my- game!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 4:32pm PST 
I don't know what a "reverse hiccup" is, but I get spells of hiccups everyday. I just moved in with my family about 2 weeks ago, and my mommy thought that it is probably harmless, but wasn't sure. Mommy heard that we hiccup because we aren't getting enough oxygen. That sounds kind of scary if it is a chronic problem.... My mommy will be asking my vet on Friday when I get a check-up. I will let you know what he says.dog
[notify]
♥- Ginger- ♥- R.I.P

It's go time!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 4:35pm PST 
My yorkies had days where it happened a bit. Usually it occurred when they were anxious or excited. I stroke underneath their neck and talk soothingly, seems to work for us.laugh out loud
[notify]

Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 4:51pm PST 
Missie and Rocky have these occasionally, and usually there is an excitability factor involved. Rocky's last longer and are harder to stop, but I find pinching his nostrils shut for a moment helps, along with stroking under his neck.wave
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 6:03pm PST 
Is a reverse hiccup the same as a reverse sneeze?

If so, excitement/stress is supposedly often the cause. Any reason that Petey might have been stressed out or anxious this morning?

Like the above poster, I find stroking the bottom of the neck (like where the trachea is) helps them pass.

Poor Petey frown
[notify]
♥- Petey Boy- ♥

A Little Guy- with a BIG- HEART!!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 6:56pm PST 
Well, It 1st started this morning when he was sleeping ...
Than it last all morning.
And he a whines when anything like a hiccup to a sneeze happens to him. So the 1st time stressed him out. ( Sasha didn't help when she growled at him for waking her up! Not a morning dog!)
A reverse Hiccup is when the tongue or the dangly thing (epiglottis) in the throat blocks an air way and your pup makes a noise like a cross between a sneeze, hiccup, and gagging sound, to clear his air way...
I'll keep track of it and let you all know it happens again!

Thank for you help~~~ wave
[notify]
Lady Emma

born to be a- princess

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 7:24pm PST 
Emma did it a few days ago and she hasn't done it for awhile. My daughter started to cry because she just moved back in and hadn't seen it before. She was ready to call the vet. I told her I knew all about from dogster and that it would stop and she would be okay. I hate when she does it. I try to calm her down by rubbing her neck.I have never had a dog this tiny before so it is a new experience.cry
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 9:34pm PST 
If reverse hiccup is same as reverse sneezing, I've seen a trick that helps quell the dog. You cover their nose with your fingers, and it forces the dogs to breathe with their mouth.
[notify]
MILO

meet the NEW- MILO

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 10:12am PST 
Milo gets the "regular" hiccups once in a while when i'm sitting in his chair with him and to tell you the honest truth i'll scare the hiccups right out of him. i'm not mean about it, i'll just be sittin there with him all quiet (he usually is looking out the window) and all of a sudden i'll say BOO!!!! It usually always workssmile (Please be cautious, do not do this if you might get bit)
[notify]
Chauncy

If I can bite it- I love it!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 1:10pm PST 
You should get an x-ray to make sure that you do not have a collapsing trachea. Mine is very small, and I do the same thing sometimes. The vet said collapsing trachea is not common in bulldogs but very common in small toy breeds. There are things that can be done, but its probably pretty spendy. My condition cant be fixed, the vet thinks I will die when it get hot outside. I would definately recommend getting an x-ray just so you know, and you could rule that out if the trachea is normal.
[notify]