GO!

New Puppy with runny stool

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rico

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 2:37pm PST 
Hey, I just got a new puppy and everytime he goes potty, his poop is runny. Is this normal for puppies? He is 10 wks old, a papillon purebred, and is eating pedigree. Since i have gotten him i have not seem anything but runny poop. 4 days now. He is really hyper and active, up to date on the shots he should have. Not every poop but some poop i have noticed what appears to be blood. Like a drop or two. Just wondering what I should do.
[notify]
Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 2:49pm PST 
Have you had him to a vet? It could be anything from worms to stress to food change(and a lot of other bad things).

And pedigree is a really bad food.

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '07 2:49pm PST

[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 3:12pm PST 
I agree with the previous post Rico. Pedigree is not a good food, especially for a puppy.

And many things can be causing his runny stool.

It could be stress. He's in a new enviorment and is still getting used to things.

It could be a health issue. If he's young, chances are he might not have been dewormed yet.

It could be a de-wormer. Depending on where you got him, some breeders/stores deworm puppies before going home and the medicine can cause runny stool for a little while.

And it could also be food. A bad food can cause the runny stool, as well as a food change. If he's new puppy into your home and you are not feeding him the same food his first home fed him, it can cause runny stool until his body adjusts to the change.

I would recommend bringing him to a Vet and getting everything checked out.
[notify]

Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 3:19pm PST 
What did the breeder have him on before you got him? If you didn't get him from the breeder, whoever had him... What did they have him on? Switching foods can cause that to happen.

Have you taken him for his first vet check up? If you haven't i would suggest you do. If you have and your really worried about it i'd give the vet a call and tell them and see what they have to say.

wishes
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:31pm PST 
Personally, I'd take him to the vet ASAP for a fecal. Runny stool can be a sign of MANY things in a puppy, many of which can be very bad or life-threatening.

In the meantime, make sure you give him plenty of water, as diarrhea can cause dehydration.
[notify]
Rico

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:38pm PST 
hey thanks for all the replies, yeah, i have not gone to the vet yet, i was gonna take him on Wednesday when i am off next being that sunday they are closed.
I did get him from a breeder that had him on pedigree as well. I do know he has had 4 shots, one being parovirus, and he has been wormed twice, last time being 1-22-07.
He is one of the most hyper puppies i have ever seen, constantly running and chewing etc. So i hope he can make it til Wed, without nothing major happening. After only 4 days we are already head over heels for him. And my other 2 dogs, Lucy-Poodle, and Rufus- Lhasa Apso are just starting to warm up a bit.... Thanks again for the replies..
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:42pm PST 
Again, not to scare you, but runny, bloody stools can be a sign of something serious. Waiting almost a week from now to get him to the vet could be dangerous.

Maybe your vet would let you drop him off and leave him for a day so they could run some tests? I know lots of vets will let you do that if you can't schedule an appointment because of work/school/etc.

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '07 4:43pm PST

[notify]
Rico

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:51pm PST 
today i have checked through all the stools in the bathroom, that is where he stays while i am at work, big bathroom, nothing tiny...anyway, there are no signs of any blood, and we just went out and he pooped and no signs of blood there either.
[notify]
Tess- Trueheart

Super Slinky

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 6:53pm PST 
I had runny poopies with a little bit of blood. My vet said it was probably stress since I was in a puppymill, then a shelter, then a big hectic trip to my new furever home. He gave me some antibiotics and Mom fed me plain chicken breast and brown rice for 3-4 days. Then I got to go back to my dog food.

My little brother, Smoke had some runny poopies too. We both had some antibiotics and the chicken and rice.

Tess, stress-free and firm poopies

[edited to add - once we were done with chicken and rice our vet said it was OK to switch right to a new dog food. I went back on my Chicken Soup Dog Food and Smoke switched over. We did do it gradually over a couple of meals mixed with the chicken and rice.]

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '07 6:56pm PST

[notify]
Cho Cho

SPOIL ME- ROTTEN!!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 11:41pm PST 
Hey Rico, 80% of the chance your pup has worms. When I just brought my puppy home he was 12 weeks, very active, no blood in stool, dewormed twice, but still had coccidea when we checked him. Also, the first batch of medication didn't kill all the worms, it tooks us 3 visits. You should go to your first one ASAP!
[notify]