GO!

HELP, Excessive Hair Loss, flaky skin

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Buckley

Barked: Sun Feb 25, '07 5:17pm PST 
I have an australian shepard mix. He is about a year old. About two weeks ago he started loosing a lot of hair when I brushed him. If you pat him you have a handful of hair. Also in areas his skin is very flakey, almost like doggie dandruff. I took him to the vet and he said everything seemed ok with him and that he is just shedding.
Today it seems as though he is losing an excessive amount of hair and buckley has been very lazy...laying around and sleeping a lot.
I am overy protective about things, but I just want would like some reassurance from other dog owners, or whether I should take him to the vet again.

Thank you.....
concerned mom
[notify]
Helix

I'm a- chihua-wolf!

Barked: Sun Feb 25, '07 5:38pm PST 
I'm fairly sure that Australian Shepherds have a double coat and will blow their undercoat twice a year. This is likely what is happening to him. Their entire undercoat falls out in the space of 2-3 weeks, so they lose a tonne of hair (huskies and several other breeds do this as well). As long as there are no big patches of hair missing, I think it's pretty normal!

As for the dandruff, what are you feeding him? Some dogs are sensitive to certain foods which can cause skin issues. And some dogs need fish oil added to their diet to keep their skin and coat healthy. Perhaps a kibble with fish in it would help his dandruff?
[notify]
Buckley

Barked: Sun Feb 25, '07 5:48pm PST 
I check him every day for spots. I hope it is just him shedding.
I feed him Nutra food, dry food with wet food mixed in.
I do give him derma caps, which has fish oil in them.

I know I worry alot about buckley, he is the first dog I have had as my own.....he is normally very active and today he has just been sleeping a lot....so that is why I am worried.

thank you for your response
[notify]

Helix

I'm a- chihua-wolf!

Barked: Sun Feb 25, '07 7:16pm PST 
Well, hopefully someone else can help you out more! I'm a first time puppy owner too, and sometimes all the information can be overwhelming! I'm a bit overprotective of my pup too BOL!
[notify]