GO!

Itchy westie paws.....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Alfie

I look like a- baby Polar Bear!

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 9:14am PST 
Alfie has recently started to lick & itch his paws alot. They aren't sore or cut, but the fur has gone a pinky colour! He does get an itchy tummy sometimes but trips to the vet were fruitless, it has been ok recently so I haven't taken him back. I know westies do have skin probs, & I keep him in a natural diet of biscuits & meat. Does anyone know what might help him or what it could be? My mum suggested he may get too hot, (he does like to snuggle up, especially under the duvet!) - but that doesn't explain his itchy paws! Please help!!confused
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 9:22am PST 
If it snows there then the salt on the ground could bother him. What exactly do you feed him? I know you said meat and biscuts but what kind of meat and is it cooked?? What are the ingredients in the biscuts?
[notify]
Alfie

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 9:27am PST 
It snowed a few weeks ago, but it started before the snow. He is a fussy eater but he has Bakers complete for small dogs in the morning (sometimes he eats it, sometimes he doesn't) & I buy packets of frozen dog meat from the pet shop, he has lamb or rabbit or chicken or beef. It an be fed raw or cooked, he has his raw mixed with a few biscuits.
[notify]

Milhous

You wanna piece- of me?

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 9:53am PST 
Food, even if it's all natural, is a very common cause of allergies. Many dogs are allergic to beef, chicken, lamb, rice, wheat, corn...common ingredients in pet food, even the natural ones.

Could also be something his paws have come in contact with - salt from outside in a snowy day, pollen in the spring, molds, household cleaners.

There are allergy tests available for dogs. If you can determine what he's allergic to, you can either avoid it or give him allergy shots to boost his resistance to them!
[notify]
Alfie

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 9:58am PST 
Thank u all for your speedy responses, In think i will try an alternative to the vets to suss out what he is allergic to. The vet said he was 90% sure it was a flea allergy as this is very common. I de-flea him regularly & am a bit of a hoover freak so I am fairly certain it isn't that! Can anyone recommend any routes or different food types I could try? I don't want to just change his diet as it has taken nearly 2 years to find something he will eat!
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 9:59am PST 
How often are you bathing him?

Are those biscuits wheat? How much grain is in his diet?

Have you tried wiping his feet when he comes in from a walk? Grass especially when we get close to spring is a common irritant. You could even dip his feet in water and dry thoroughly after walks.
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 10:17am PST 
If he was having a flea allergy it would be in other areas besides or along with his feet...fleas don't hover in or hang out on the feet. He'd be having itching by his rump. I'd really recommend finding other Westie owners who have a Westie-knowledgeable vet. It could make a world of difference in how long it takes for you to find out why he's chewing and put a stop to it.

Most Westie people will tell you chewing feet is most often connected to a food allergy, and the food they have a reaction to typically is wheat / corn.
[notify]
Alfie

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 10:21am PST 
I think there are 'corn' biscuits which are his favourite. I thought it may be a mud allergy & when his paws get muddy, I always wash them but when he's been on the roads I never think to wash them, from now on I will keep a shallow container in the garage to wash his feet when he comes in from walkies - i'll see if this helps. Thanks for the advice! I try not to bath him unless he is sooo filthy! He does love running in the mud, digging up mole hills & rubbing himself in disgusting things though!
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 10:29am PST 
Here are good foods in the UK
Burns Organic, Burgess Supa Dog (only sensitive), James Wellbeloved(best), Nutrience Puppy & Junior Small Breed, Wafcol Dog . The BEST food is james wellbeloved, I know someone who foods it to their lab and she does wonderful on it. Bakers isn't good food and it's got tons of sugar in it.
Here's a list of places near you that sell James Wellbeloved
Petfoods Direct, Copdock Feeds, TKT Pet Suppliest, Animal Crackers, Animal Oasis, John's Pets Supplies, Barnard Bro's (Ipswich) Ltd, Pets At Home (Ipswich), The Range (Ipswich), Viking Aquatics.

It probably costs quiet a bit more then bakers but Alfie well eat less, itchs less and best of all poop allot lessway to go
[notify]
Alfie

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 10:33am PST 
I've tried him on James Wellbeloved before & he won't touch it! Nor was he very keen on Royal Canin - he's a bit older now so I might give it a go instead of the Bakers. Thanks for the advice cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2