GO!

Femoral Head Ostectomy

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sam

Anytime is- playtime.

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 5:25am PST 
Femoral Head Ostectomy
Has anyone had to have a FHO done on their pet? My young dog has severe hip dysplasia and we're considering this surgery. I'd love to hear about results from other dog owners.
Thanks so much.dog
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 10:40am PST 
Youch! Don't have any experience, but wanted to wish you the best. I'm curious to hear from others who have been thru this or considered it, too.
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 11:16am PST 
I don't have personal experience with my own dogs having this problem, however I have seen several dogs that have had this surgery and come through with flying colors. I did see one that developed some fluid around the new joint and took a little while longer to heal. But once the swelling went down, he was running around using the leg and you'd have no idea he had a problem with it in the first place.

I wish you the best. Hopefully if you have this done you will get some relief.
[notify]

Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 1:18pm PST 
My cat had the surgery done 2 years ago. He can run and jump fine, just a little limp still present. Recovery was fine...restricted activity for a few weeks but no problems. E-collar to keep from licking the sutures.

P.S. I believe it's a femoral head osteotomy. Darn spell check.wink
[notify]
Mandy

Chew, Chew,- Chew... swallow

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 6:39pm PST 
I have to have this surgery next Wednesday. I don't use that leg at all because it hurts too much. I hope someday I'll be able to run like my sister Pixie, maybe I'll even run faster.
[notify]
Murdoch

Mud Up!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 6:58pm PST 
I was diagnosed with severe hip displaysia at 6 mos. I went totally lame. I had NO hip sockets and flattening of the femoral heads. The vets said it was the worst they had seen. Because I was still growing, I could not have total hip. Because there was so little there I was not a candidate for triple pelvic. That left FHO as the only option. It is very succesful procedure - more so on smaller pets. It has been almost a year since my surgery. I can run & play - just not too hard or too long. I am a big boy - 75#'s. Keeping your weight low will help and swimming for after care is a great help. I am having trouble now - but the vet said that I am a rare case where I am growing the bone back. I may have to have a 2nd procedure to 'shave' down my left side. I went the last 3 mos with no problems, but this last week I was sore again. Within 3 days - I was fine. I am an unusual case all around. I think FHO is a great procedure and I would not be here without it. Hang in there and feel free to ask me questions.
Licks & Slobbers,
Murdoch
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 9:29pm PST 
I had an FHO surgery on one hip. My mom kept a journal during/after my surgery, do you can read all about my experience with FHO surgery and my recovery/rehabilitation at my Hip Dysplasia Diary here:
http://www.ch icagocanine.com/pooch/poochhd.html
[notify]
Atticus

A Rough Tough- Cream Puff

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '07 10:51am PST 
OOOH-I know this is an older post-
I underwent TWO FHO surgeries for bilateral Leg Perthes- and I am doing much better!
[notify]
Bundy Bear

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 12:21am PST 
Hi,
"I have just had a FHO done last week. Im in my 5th day of recovery and am relatively pain free. Before surgery I could run ('bunny hop')and play for limited time as it became too tiring and painful. My mum and dad opted for the surgery and the dicision was not made lightly with a lot of research. Firstly was the pain management which was for pre and post op. My folks did not like the Nsaids available through conventional vets so they got me on herbal Traumeel from a holistic vet. Dosage for me was 3 tabs a day and still is. I am full of beans , bright eyed happy as punch and they cant stop me from playing with my brother Toby. (Lhasa apso) In fact my mum rang the surgeon to say " Hey Bundy is doing too well so early after surgery" to which she was told keep me from overdoing it but let me go and do as I feel comfortable. I put a lot of this down to a good surgeon and procedure and of course the miracle healing of Traumeel. I still have a few months to go for a full recovery , but at this rate mum and dad think I will blitz it in"
I hope this will be a good choice for you too, I believe quality of life is everything, and I have a lot of life to live. All the very best .
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 1:11am PST 
My sister's dog had this done due to a dislocated hip and a broken pelvis. The first day after surgery she was pretty painful, but almost immediately afterwards, she had much more range of motion in the leg. She still walks with a little limp, but honestly you would never know that she has as extensive injuries as she has, of that she's missing the head of the femur. I think she was on metacam for about a week after the operation and she had tramadol for 3 days. After that, she didn't even seem to care or be in any discomfort.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2