GO!

simethicone dosage?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sat Feb 10, '07 4:08pm PST 
I was reading up on bloat symptoms to keep myself refreshed on the symptoms since both Hershey and Harley are at risk because of their breeds, and the fact that Harley is the king of gas. One of the things that all the sites recommended was to give a gassy dog simethicone to reduce the risk. What I can not find is how to determine the dosage to give your pup. What further confuses me is that my vet had said not to give pups simethicone. Does anyone know where I can find some very reliable information?
[notify]
Brandwyn

Shelties- Forever!

Barked: Sat Feb 10, '07 5:14pm PST 
I'm not so sure I'd feed my dog simethicone either. Usually gas is caused by gastro intestinal upset from the food that is eaten. What do you feed? If you want some relief maybe a probiotic enzyme such as acidophilus (found in yogurt) is the answer.

Brandi and Judy
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sat Feb 10, '07 6:22pm PST 
They eat Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon. They both do great on it. The problem is that Harley has 9 food allergies (including soy, wheat, rice, and oat). We are very careful with his no-no list, but he has made it sneaking food into an art form. We do our absolute best to keep his no-no's away, but he has grabed a droped piece of food before we could pick it up. His main reaction is horrible gas. He is also allergic to Oak trees which are very prevelant in the area, and he loves to chew on sticks. The sites all said to give simethicone if you suspect bloat (then to get them to a vet immediately), but that the simethicone could buy you some time. But, they all neglect to give the dosage. With both of them being at high risk because of their breeds and body types, and Harley more so because of his tendency to have gas, I figure I should have it on hand and know how to give it should it become necessary.
[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 3:38pm PST 
I spoke with my vet today. (before I had talked to a vet tech). He said that simethicone is extremely safe and you would almost have to try to overdose on it. He said that a child's dosage is good for small dogs, and an adult dose for large dogs. He told me that it is a great way to prevent bloat and potentially save you dogs life.
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 6:04pm PST 
Simethicone is Gas-X, very safe. I keep some on hand in the doggy first-aid kit just in case. I have simethicone for babies/children, which is in liquid form and can be dispensed with a medicine dropper. The box gives dosage by weight for children, but I figure (like your vet said) you really couldn't give too much.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 5:16am PST 
Zeus has bloated, so I have personal experience with this. We used (use) Gas-X. This is what I tell all my Bullmastiff owners.

If you even *think* your dog is bloating, give 10 gelcaps, which should roughly equal 1640mg simethicone. (This is a safe dosage.)
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 6:38am PST 
Be careful giving out dosages. Everywoof should talk to their own vet for that type of thing.

Concern would be - Is 10 capsules for a dog a small dog (10 lbs) like me? I think not. I'd probably bloat if I tried to eat that many capsules.

Smoke, Eenie Weenie Dog
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 8:40am PST 
Simethicone might help if your dog is gassy but it WILL NOT DO ANYTHING FOR BLOAT!!!!! That is complete foolishness. When they "bloat" their stomach and hence their esophagus twists and the medication won't even get to their stomach and besides that it really isn't gas that is causing the problem but rather the twist that then leads to the gas build up. The 2 minutes you spend finding simethicone and giving it to your dog is two minutes your dog's stomach is being deprived of blood while you do something totally worthless. If your dog is bloated, go to the vet ASAP. NOTHING at home will work. Ugh! Sorry to be so harsh but this is advise that borders on being dangerous. I have seen a company that was selling "bloat kits" at a dog show. You can not treat bloat at home. CAN NOT.

Sorry. I'll be quiet now. silenced
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 9:19am PST 
I don't think anyone is suggesting that bloat can be treated at home. It's a serious medical emergency. I think simethicone is just being offered as something that can be given to the dog (in the car, perhaps, on the way to the ER) to buy time and increase chances of a favorable outcome.

Beau, not to split hairs, but what we refer to as "bloat" can include two discrete processes, dilation of the stomach, and then twisting/torsion of the stomach. Hence the technical name "gastric dilation/volvulus."

"Bloat" can occur with or without twisting of the stomach. The buildup of gas/air is what causes the initial bloating (dilation) of the stomach, which, if it gets bloated enough, will twist and flip over (volvulus). The twisting then cuts off blood supply and ability of air to escape.

Reducing the amount of gas in the stomach cannot "cure" bloat, but it can slow its process while you rush your dog to the vet for treatment. Thus simethicone, which counteracts the gas in the stomach, can be used to "buy time" and (hopefully) slow the bloating process.

Zeus' mom is a highly-experienced vet tech, by the way. That's an interesting point, Smoke... I'm sure the dosage for a bullmastiff and an eenie weenie wouldn't be the same... though I don't know that "overdosing" on simethicone would really do any harm... that's a question for the vet. big grin

ed- bad punctuation error

Edited by author Tue Feb 13, '07 9:22am PST

[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 9:32am PST 
Notice how I said "what I tell my Bullmastiff owners", not "what I tell small dog owners", because frankly I have no experience as a small dog owner, and have never had to look up a dosage for a small dog, since it doesn't much concern me. What I do know is that IS a safe dosage for a Bullmastiff, or a dog around their weight (110-140 pounds), and I feel totally comfortable sharing that dosage for that size of dog. Talk to any Dane owner. They'll tell you the same. I was never suggesting you can treat it at home. That's just ridiculous. My entire comment on this drug to my group was (we are having bloat as our main health discussion this week):

"If you even *think* your dog is bloating,give 10 gelcaps, which should roughly equal 1640mg simethicone. (This is a safe dosage.) Record and remember this dosage. Call your local emergency vet and let them know that you're coming and what you've given your dog as of then. Run your Bullmastiff to the emergency vet quickly, so they can monitor and treat him/her as soon as possible! When you're dog bloats, you are racing the clock."

I know bloat/GVD can't be treated at home. Zeus had an emergency gastropexy, and the situation as a whole was very serious, but reducing the gas is an easy way to buy yourself some time. It is a surgical emergency, and there's not a whole lot of time to waste, but this can give you a little extra time.

And thanks, Ming, by the way.

Edited by author Tue Feb 13, '07 9:48am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4