GO!

neutering complications

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kingsley

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 5:28pm PST 
Kingsley was neutered Monday and he is not recovering well. I expected that he would be back to normal the day after surgery, but it's been pretty bad. We took him home Monday evening, and within an hour he had pulled his stitches out. His skin was so irritated from shaving, he was licking constantly and worked out the stitches in the process. Our vet looked at him the next day but decided not to close up the incision. She said it would heal fine as it was, and she didn't want further irritate him by putting in staples. She did give antibiotics so he wouldn't get an infection. We've tried to control his licking - he only licks occasionally now, but the skin is still irritated. I'm starting to worry because it's now Thursday and my dog is still very uncomfortable. He isn't infected, has plenty of energy, eats normally and excretes normally, but he won't walk unless we make him and when he does walk, he does this hunched over walk/run/sit thing. It obviously hurts him to walk and I don't know why at four days after surgery, he's still so uncomfortable. I've read that tight stitches can cause this type of reaction, but he doesn't have any external stitches! Any ideas or advice?? I feel so horrible for putting him through all this!
[notify]
Jipsi

Pet me!! Pet- me!!

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 5:52pm PST 
This is much better for him in the long run. Some dogs like people can't tolerate pain well. DId you get pain meds to go home? I might suggest so pain medication and an e-collar. Even if he licks occasionally that is still irrating the area, and might be causing pain also. Good luck!
[notify]
Attis

I'm your (big)- man.

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 7:28pm PST 
Things are new down under for him and feel a little weird right now- A) he's missing something and B) he's hairless on his little belly.
As long as the incisions sight is not red and inflammed looking or feels warm when touched then i would think he is just uncomfortable-kind of like putting dog boots on for the first time-throws everything off kilter.
Even during the healing process it gets kind of annoying-limit his activity-no running-if he needs to expel some energy than I would just take him for a short walk-deifnately no rough playing.
Hope you feel better soon.
snoopy
[notify]

Parker

Parker - oversized- lap-dog

Barked: Thu Feb 8, '07 7:44pm PST 
hmmm shrug Puzzling... Is he wearing a cone? That'll keep him away for sure. I guess vets are all different cause mine told me to return ASAP if he got any stitches out. Parker was coned and had a bitter lotion/ointment stuff to put near the wound for the times that I took off the cone. Also, we were given three or four days worth of pain medication... were you? If he wasn't, he may just be afraid of feeling pain ... even if the pain has subsided.... know what I mean?

Sorry I'm not much help. I hope he feels better soon! Poor boy! I'd head back to the vet if it isn't any betetr in the next day or so. Another thing to watch out for is swelling. Parker had fairly severe swelling a few days afterwards. I had to try and ice him... not fun! Good luck!
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Fri Feb 9, '07 9:00am PST 
I too would recommend an E-collar (cone) to keep him from licking at the area. If it is still inflammed / red on the surface, you may want to ask your vet about a spray that will help with that (Gentocin spray, Derma-cool, Derma-cool HC). If it is generalized pain, then ask your vet about pain meds for him.

Poor pup. Some dogs are just more sensitive to the clipping and antiseptic scrub used when prepping the area for surgery. I know its frustrating, but it really should start improving in the next few days.
[notify]
Tucker

My special- little guy

Barked: Fri Feb 9, '07 9:41am PST 
When Tucker was neutered, he had problems with eating. For about 2 days, Tucker had terrible diarrhea. I'd try to gently ease him back onto his normal food, but he just got sick the next day. After about a week, he finally got better & his digestion came back.

My vet said that when he was in residency out in the sticks, the old vet he worked under didn't even stitch male dogs after they were neutered. Those were the days, I guess. Tucker's stitches stayed in for a week, so that aspect didn't cause him any problems.

Every dog is different & will have different reactions. During that week, I probably called my vet every other day to ask questions Tucker is my first dog that I've had a dog that was 100% my responsibility. Vet offices should be used to that kinda thing, so if you have questions, call your vet.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Feb 9, '07 11:38am PST 
I was thinking exactly the same thing Parker - all the vets I have heard of would put a cone on any dog that was licking after an operation. You can also buy them at pet stores to stop this.
[notify]
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Fri Feb 9, '07 1:24pm PST 
Awww - I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. Do you trust the vet that did the neutering? If not, maybe you should visit another one for a 2nd opinion. An elizabethan collar (e-collar, or cone) would keep him from licking at & irritating the area, but since it's been irritated since he came home, I wonder if he had an allergic reaction to something. And I don't think it should still hurt this far down the line. Poor little guy.

I think I'd call the vet again & tell her he's still really uncomfortable.

Edited by author Fri Feb 9, '07 1:26pm PST

[notify]
Bo

Love me best!

Barked: Fri Feb 9, '07 1:34pm PST 
I felt exactly like that when I got my big operation! I walked around all hunched up... Mommy says I was a "wuss".

You have no infection, and that is good. Mom should keep watching for signs of infection. I would figure that if the vet says your stitches are fine, then you will be ok.

Tell your mom that you need to go for lots of little walks. That's what our vet got us to do to keep swelling down. I felt so much better after walks.

Hope you feel a lot better really soon. wishes
[notify]
Pirate CGC

Bunny-Butts are- the only way.

Barked: Fri Feb 9, '07 2:44pm PST 
Oi, I tell you what, I did the exact same thing as you, friend. A bit different.

I hated it when I got nuetered. The day afterwards I was ready to get up and such--But it itched like CRAZY down there. I would bend and wiggle, but since i had on an E-Collar, it did no good. So I merely barked at my empty gentials for a couple days. big laugh

Then on the sixth day, (one day before the vet recommended that I could take off the collar) Mom put me in the back of the car. And being the corgi trickster that I am, while she went in for 15 minutes to get groceries, I slid off the cone and licked out all my stitches! Horray for me!!

But then, not so hurrah. My vet had to reclose the incision because of how far in I had licked, and I had to have another sugery and anti-biotics....Oi! And mom says it was more expensive to have me re-stitched than for the original nueter! shock

So I would recommend you run out and buy an e-collar so you don't have to do what I did.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2