GO!

Suddenly stopped shedding??? (on thyroxine)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Shaela

Play With Me!

Barked: Tue Jan 30, '07 5:48pm PST 
My brother and I had to start thyroxine about a month or so ago. We both have low thyroids. Now it is getting easier to lose weight and we are happy. But, we seemed to have stopped shedding? Is that a bad thing? Mom doesn't think it's normal. And the fur on our legs has gotten alot thicker, and the vet said that is normal. But he didn't say anything about the shedding. Can anyone help?
[notify]
Elsie Mae- Ray

Cherry Angel and- Elsie NUN- furever pals

Barked: Tue Jan 30, '07 6:50pm PST 
Yup sounds normal!!! It happend to me and mommy was sooo happy about it!! smile
[notify]
Lucky CGC- -9/17/1996-2- /25/2008

RIP- Sweet- Angel

Barked: Tue Jan 30, '07 6:50pm PST 
I am also hypothyroid and on soloxin. I wouldn't worry about not shedding. Shedding too much is a sign that there is something wrong, either in your diet or your health. One of the signs of hypothyroidism is itchy skin. When your skin is itchy, you shed a lot. Take care of the hypothyroidism and eat a good diet and the shedding pretty much stops. I hardly shed at all anymore. Until Spring when we all blow our coats.smile
[notify]

Shaela

Play With Me!

Barked: Tue Jan 30, '07 7:25pm PST 
Oh, good, so we will still blow our coats? That's normal and healthy. We also recently started on Canidae Senior. So maybe we are just way more healthy now!!! Thanks for your feedback!

cheer
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Tue Jan 30, '07 11:56pm PST 
I wouldn't worry about it Shaela. It sounds like the meds are doing their job actually. I know in people with thyroid problems they have trouble with losing hair, I would think the same thing would be true for dogs. Maybe now that your thyroid levels are under control, you're just getting back that lustrous coat that makes you so beautiful.

I think you will probably go through the normal seasonal changes and stuff, but for now, enjoy getting back to where you should be smile.
[notify]