GO!

Weird growth on dog's tail

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sasha

Barked: Sat Jan 20, '07 7:26pm PST 
Help - Sasha had a weird growth about half way down her tail. It is a little over an inch long and was laying down with her tail hair. When i went to pet her it felt like she had a stick matted in her hair so when i went to pull it out i realized it was actually growing from her tail. I pulled it off and she didn't cry or anything but the base of it is still on her tail. I can't get her in to see the vet until Monday and was just wondering if anyone else has seen this before. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sat Jan 20, '07 8:03pm PST 
Hi Sasha, Not a clue! frown

Best to leave it alone and let the vet look at it. Please keep us posted when you find out what it is.
[notify]
Sasha

Barked: Tue Jan 23, '07 4:30pm PST 
Vet visit went great, the vet said it was basically dead skin cells that weren't falling off right but instead collecting upon one another. Vet said it could grow back or just completely fall off - either way its really nothing to worry about!! Yay!!
[notify]

The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Jan 23, '07 4:35pm PST 
How interesting! I never knew about this! Thanks for letting us know!
Melody-Mildr- ed

Barked: Tue Jan 23, '07 6:24pm PST 
There's a scent gland on every dog located on the tail and this can become dry and some pooches can loose their hair--but it's nothing to be alarmed about...
[notify]
Shaela

Play With Me!

Barked: Tue Jan 23, '07 8:57pm PST 
Shaela had this in two spots!!! One on her back and one on her tail! I pulled them out, and the one on her tail didn't come back but the one on her back kept coming back! It is a cyst. The vet squeezed and squeezed and it kept coming out longer and longer (I know, gross, right?) then pulled it out. She used a pinching instrument to dig into the hole and get it all out. It hasn't grown back! You just need to get all of it out of the hole. Her hole was huge. Yuck! It freaked me out man totally!!!!!
eek
[notify]