GO!

HOT SPOTS??? (Bichon Frise)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dylan

Lets Dig A BIG- Hole!

Barked: Fri Jan 19, '07 1:00pm PST 
Hi my poor little Bichon has two or three really bad hot spots that she will not stop chewing at! Does anyone have any advice on how to relieve her?confused
[notify]
Phoebe---at- Rainbow- Bridge

I didn't do it!

Barked: Fri Jan 19, '07 7:52pm PST 
When I had a hot spot mom used doggie hydo-cortisone spray to help relieve the itching. She got it right at the department store. Do you know what is causing your spots? Is it allergies, or bug bites, or what?
[notify]
Kenny

Cheese... the- other white- meat.

Barked: Fri Jan 19, '07 7:57pm PST 
My mom's talking here: If the hot spots continue, I'd see the vet just to be safe.
[notify]

~Max RIP- 9-28-08~

The absolute- softest fuzziest- dog ever!

Barked: Fri Jan 19, '07 8:01pm PST 
You might want to look at the kind of food you are feeding your pup. I was chewing my leg off and then switched to a rice based foood (instead of corn) and I got better. I still chew on occasion and my mom has a few tricks.. one is she fills a kong toy with peanut butter and I get into that instead of my leg. The other is she keeps all hair trimmed from the hot spots. She takes me to the groomer often, but in between times she clips it short. Hope this helps!way to go
[notify]
~Max RIP- 9-28-08~

The absolute- softest fuzziest- dog ever!

Barked: Fri Jan 19, '07 8:06pm PST 
One more thing I forgot! I shouldn't tell her this but it does help. Sometimes I get OCD about the chewing and can't stop. When this happens she squirts me with water. I hate it but it breaks that obsessive thought pattern. As you can tell I've had alot of experience with this. Bichons are known for skin problems and not leaving them alone. If it's really bad she makes me wear a cone head so that I can't reach my leg, but it's not usually that bad! She even tried doggie prozac, but it didn't really help. Again, good luck!puppy
[notify]
Scamp

aka Fuzzy Buddy

Barked: Sat Jan 20, '07 6:43am PST 
I had a terrier mix who had really bad hot spots. Turned out he was allergic to flea bites. My vet prescribed medication for it, only I can't remember exactly what it was. I'd recommend a visit to your vet.
[notify]
Kiera

Stumpy legs are- better!

Barked: Sat Jan 20, '07 4:10pm PST 
It seems to me that many Bichons have this problem a lot (called moist dermatitis), or at least I have seen a lot of them in practice! You definitely will want to take your pup to the vet and have them examined to be sure it isn't something more serious. Your vet will need to determine if it is a yeast infection or bacterial and then will provide an appropriate treatment. Some dogs need to have oral antibiotics, some can handle a cortisone spray, it depends on the cause! Your vet can talk to you about things that can cause this such as various endocrine problems and allergies and how to prevent future problems.

I hope this helps! Good luck with the itchies! smile

dog
[notify]
Minnie (- Mickey's- Minnie May )

I now have a- hole in my ear !- ! !

Barked: Wed Jan 24, '07 6:41pm PST 
Check out the "Greatdanelady" She has some interesting information on Systemic Yeast Infections.
[notify]