GO!

Dog pees and drinks a LOT

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 6:41pm PST 
Dulce drinks A LOT of water too.

I know she had a high white blood cell count, so get some blood work done when you go to the vet.

Some dogs just drink more than others. This may be one of those situations.

Is he on any meds? Have an increased appetite?
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 7:29pm PST 
If it was only the peeing a lot could be UTI, but the water intake is pointing more towards diabetes. Maybe Cushing's. Need to go to the vet real fast.
[notify]
♥ RIP- Copper- Beagleswor

My heart belongs- to Duke.

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 10:31pm PST 
Copper was doing that and it was Cushing's disease. Cushings is treatable though if it is that.
[notify]

Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 11:13pm PST 
Cushings causes increased thirst??????
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 7:31am PST 
there's really a lot of stuff they need to rule out. Increased thirst or urination can be a symptom of different things.

I am a water hog...always have been. I had a bunch of tests (everything you mentioned in your posts) and then some...all my tests came back normal.

It can be behavioral especially if you have always been that way...when it comes on suddenly, you need to get it checked out. Good luck pups! hug
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 12:33pm PST 
A different story:

Storm's desire for water increases significantly when we are out and about. It's almost like a hobby for him!

The first day that I took Storm to work (I work at a pet store) he excitedly sucked the store's Drinkwell dry several times despite drinking at home and a minimal level of activity. As a result, he spent the afternoon leaving Beardie-sized puddles all over the floor. This was extremely strange behavior for him - but, still, his thirst seemed insatiable.

I finally stepped in and restricted his water intake. He eventually stopped peeing and settled down quite a bit. He seemed genuinely relieved, almost as if he was stuck in a cycle that he couldn't break.

While I'm not sure where this compulsion comes from, all I need to do is be careful about how much water he is allowed to have while we are hanging around town. I tend to give him a bit more than he would normally drink at home; that way I feel that I am compensating for the increase in activity and excitement.

At first I thought that it was a marking behavior (an increase in liquid in means more liquid for marking later!), but he actually never tries to mark while in this state.

This being said, I'd still recommend a trip to the vet to rule anything strange out.
[notify]
Kelsey

best dog ever

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 7:03pm PST 
Dulce,

Yes increased thirst is a very common sign of Cushings. It's often referred to as PU/PD, Polyuria/Polydipsia (increased urination/increased thirst.) As others have mentioned, there are other causes, but in older dogs with PU/PD Cushings should be ruled out. (It was the first consistent symptom Kelsey encoutered and along with the hair loss why I pushed until we had a definitive diagnosis.)
[notify]
Pearl

Save Lives! Spay- and Neuter!

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 7:35pm PST 
There are a number of things that can cause increased thirst, those mentioned plus hypocalcemia, which can be by something wrong with the parathyroid gland which regulates water balance in the body.
My Beloved doggie died of this, but they could not figure out why he was hypocalcemic (it can be cancer I understand) and he just spiraled downward and I had to let him go. cry
Pearl's Guardian
[notify]
♥ RIP- Copper- Beagleswor

My heart belongs- to Duke.

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 11:27pm PST 
Dulce, my increased thirst and urination with my age was what clued my vet in to looking at Cushing's. Those were my only symptoms (well, and reavenous appetite but I am a beagle so who knew that was a symptom at first?) With the vets input we did not continue with meds because with Cushing's you have to get the meds just right. if they are right they are wonderful, but if not you can push your pup into Addison's. Mom has noticed though that i am looking a little swollen and rounded so at my check up soon we will have my levels all tested again and I may have to start the meds afterall.
[notify]
Lily

silly Lily

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 4:29pm PST 
Thank God we got great news today Lily does not have diabetes we come to think it might be because we are watching my sons english bulldog who is 8 months old but we ahve to keep an eye on her after Emma leaves to see if this keeps up, Lilies concentrate in her pee was great the blood test was great.............I slept good last night after getting this good news..maybe she needs to see a shrink haha
cheer
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3