GO!

Dog pees and drinks a LOT

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
McFly

McFly McRules!

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 8:53am PST 
My cousin (Mommy's brother's dog) drinks a lot of water and pees constantly. They have to keep him either in the kitchen or garage b/c he would ruin the carpet. They are taking him to the vet tomorrow, but are really worried. Parker is only about 6 mos. old. What could it be? And is it treatable?
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 8:56am PST 
Could be diabetes or kidney diseases.
Maybe just a weak bladder, but the intake makes me think diabetes.
How old is the pup?

Is the pup on prednisone at all?

ETA:
Your diary says you have a weight issue... it could be cushing's disease?

Have you been tested for low thyroid?

Edited by author Thu Jan 11, '07 9:51am PST

Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 8:58am PST 
It can be a lot of things, and it could be nothing. Once the vet runs some tests, and determines what it is, they can see what is needed. So many things are treatable these days, it is really amazing.

Hope it all works out well!
[notify]

♥- Sassy NPC- ♥

Save a Life &- Rescue

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 9:09am PST 
Could be diabetes or cushings disease. I have cushinhs and diabetic symptoms are the same. Scooting on the run too?
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 9:49am PST 
Hopefully it's a UTI since he's so young. Might be juvenile diabetes. UTI is tratable, diabetes is manageable. Only the vet can tell for sure. Good luck! Hope it's something simple.
[notify]
Charlie (at- the bridge)

Running free

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 6:50pm PST 
Best wishes to your cousin tomorrow. It can be a lot of things, as the other pups mentioned. I always worry about pups that are drinking a lot because of my own problems I had when I was a puppy. My Juvenile Renal Disease reared its ugly head when I was only about 6 months old. I hope that it's not that cry.

Hopefully it will just be the case of a pup that likes to drink water or something pretty simple, like a UTI. JRD is no fun at all and it can hit at pretty much any young age...
[notify]
Jelly

The world- belongs to me!

Barked: Fri Jan 12, '07 2:44am PST 
Good luck to your cousin. It is likely something as simple as a bladder infection. Let us know how he makes out.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Jan 12, '07 3:44am PST 
hmmmmm... UTI?

Whatever it is, I hope he's okay. smile
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Fri Jan 12, '07 6:41pm PST 
How did it go at the vet today?
[notify]
Lily

silly Lily

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 4:46pm PST 
This sounds a lot like Lily, she started this weekend with peeing a lot so we thought it was a UTI went to the Emergency Vets on Saturday $$$ and they gave us some anti biotics and said the pee was really diluted, our vet called us the following Monday and had us come in and did some more checking, its not a UTI, she is drinking a lot and peeing a lot, even in the house if we don't catch her and she wasn't doing that before this weekeend, they took blood to get it checked out .........we are worried,........ they are not sure yet what is wrong with Lily.....they said a few differnt things it could be one was diabetes Insipidus another type of kidney failure, oh how I'm worried for my poor Lily she is so sad when she pees in the house she puts her head into my legs like saying I'm sorry daddy.... time will tell plus everything is costly as hell what luck!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3