GO!

Min-Pin seizures

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
MarTeeni

Teeni the Terror

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 7:24am PST 
my little min-pin of almost 1 yr old has had seizures or spells. she does not tremble or paddle, but just goes limp, almost like fainting....then the eyes go blank and wide open. she sometimes deficates, and then in about 45 sec to a min she is alert and pretty much back to normal. although she had 3 episodes on new years day and it pretty much wiped her out. she did sleep all day and i stayed with her to monitor. she eats good, drinks good, and goes to the bathroom fine. no oddites there.
any advice to what one might have for advice is welcome.
we did go to vet and started phenobarbatol and an antibiotic. she seems fine so far no more spells.
she is listed as MarTeeni from Litchfield....i don't have the direct link sorry.
any and all advice is good!
thanks
Carole
[notify]
Pancho- Lopez-In- Memoriam

i must break you

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 10:58am PST 
i would say that min pins definitely do get siezures pretty commonly, and my panho developed some at about one year old. phenobabrbitol is an older med, and might not be the best for handling the siezures, tho. i would talk to poquito's mom about siezures, he gets them too, and manages them holistically! here's his link

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=232382
[notify]
Pancho- Lopez-In- Memoriam

i must break you

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 11:08am PST 
ps you're super cute!!!
[notify]

Indiana

Is that snack- for me??

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 11:29am PST 
Did you vet go over ALL the possibilities of what could be causing them? Indiana had them when I first got him and my vet ran down a list of a dozen causes for them. His blood work came back normal so we decided to start with a possible food allergy before going on the meds as they tend to make some dogs lethargic and fortunately for him that was exactly the problem. She also told me that even if I put him on the meds if there is another cause for the seizures like the food issue he could still have them, they just wouldn't be as frequent. In Indy's case he didn't tolerate the Lamb I was feeding him so now he's on a chicken formula and he's doing great, no meds, no seizures.
I don't know all of what you vet might have checked but unless the vet had a good reason for suspecting a condition needing medication I'd try other avenues before going with meds.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 11:52am PST 
Did the vet do any tests or just assume it was epilepsy?

Yes, Pokie's mum is the one that can advise on this.

Edited by author Wed Jan 3, '07 11:53am PST

[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 2:32pm PST 
Hi, I was just checking in because I do watch for seizure issues in other pups. Min-pins do seem prone to them, for some reason. However, I would insist that your vet do a complete blood panel to check for liver or kidney or thyroid abnormalities, and if that shows any internal organ abnormalities, then an ultrasound would be in order to see if there is enlargement or tumor growth. If all that is OK, then it becomes a challenge to be observant of all foods and reactions to them, all flea products, all household cleaning products, etc. (See Pokie's page & diary entries) Also, someone else had shared that an ice pack applied to the back during a seizure would stop it, and we have tried it right before Christmas, and IT WORKED! Your baby's seizures are different than what we experience. Pokie never loses bowel or bladder control. He simply falls over onto his side in a blank stare, sometimes pants quite a bit or drools, last 2-3 minutes, then he's OK and we give him a half of a 2 mg. tablet of valium to calm things down followed by either sugar water or Karo syrup or ice cream (to restore the spent energy). The only supplement he gets is Denosyl from the vet, and it's a natural supplement that works to aid metabolism, joint health and mood elevation. His diet consists of roasted turkey, baked chicken breast, and for treats a homemade turkey "muffin". For kibble, he does eat Royal Canin. Hope all this helps. It's a battle, but we do quite well without the phenobarbital. P-mail me any time. Good luck.
[notify]
Jebediah

Got people food?- I'll eat it!!

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 2:43pm PST 
MarTeenie, I am sending you and invite to my group called "the shakers". We all have epilepsy and will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have!! We are all great pups and have found it's very helpful to talk to each other about our own experiences and meds. Hope you feel better!
[notify]
Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 3:18pm PST 
If the pheno is no good what other meds are there for dogs?

My friends boxer has been on it for a while but they said its like she isn't even alive on it anymore-she jsut lays there. I have no clue what they have done with their vet though. I have no faith in thier vet simply because instead of saying put them on a good food he puts them on a ton of meds for loosing hair. I tried explaining the meds don't help the dogs long term but didn't help any.

Edited by author Wed Jan 3, '07 3:19pm PST

[notify]
MarTeeni

Teeni the Terror

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 4:41pm PST 
Teeni responds.....
We did a complete work up on blood and urine. ruled out at this point was epilepsy and liver problems. the vet is leaning more towards a toxic poisoning or a tick born disease. as she did have 1 tick last summer and did get into a plant base of dirt that had a chemical on it. We are also on an antibiotic to help that if that's what it truly is. needless to say all has been fixed removed and the house is now "MarTeeni" proof. The phenobarb does not make her lathargic at all, quite the opposite, she is "full of it" she has had more energy since on it that when she was having the seizures. here seziures were also the fall over on side, eyes wide open and glazed, and no panting or sounds, jsut limp and nothing. after about 30-45 seconds she'd come around and be fine.
i have decided to try a raw diet and see how that goes. after our next vet visit i would like to take her off the phenobarbs and see how we do. she loves veggies and fruits and we use those for treats, so that's a plus.
[notify]
Indiana

Is that snack- for me??

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 7:01pm PST 
I would seriously just look into different protein if you are going to change the food. My vet had seen alot of dogs with the same problem and said the food allergy is not that un-common but often over looked. Particularly with milder seizures its something she said she recommends to everyone to consider trying before they put a dog on medication.
Indiana's seizures were very much fall down and rock back and forth, drool. If he was having a very bad one his muscles would tense up in akward positions so I'd have to wrap him loosley in a blanket to keep from from harming himself or me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2