GO!

lump from rabies shot?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Miakoda

love me.

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 9:17am PST 
anyone else get that b4? Does it go away? Its been 3 weeks, and i still have it. Help!!??
[notify]
"Mocha Java"- aka Java

Da Bulls.. Goin'- all Da Way!

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 9:24am PST 
Sometimes dogs get a loacalized reaction to the rabies vaccine. This does take quiet a while to go away, but eventually it does go away.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 11:52am PST 
It took about 6/8 weeks for both my lump and Pepe's rabies shot lump to go completely. It started to fade and got to be like a small pea and then suddenly mummy couldn't feel it any longer.
[notify]

Mia Bella

Just a little- girl!

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 11:53am PST 
Mia had one after she got her rabies shot. Hers probably stayed there for 2-3 months.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 12:59pm PST 
Yep, it's completely normal. At rabies vacc. clinics that I volunteer at, we have to explain symptoms to look for, and one of the big things we point out is that a lump at the injection site is totally normal... but to start seeing a vet if it persists (doesn't start to go down or worsens) after two weeks.
Petey

Drool - It bring's- treats!

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 1:03pm PST 
I had a small lump from my shot. It went away in about a week.
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Wed Nov 29, '06 1:09pm PST 
When Pugsley got his very first set of shots (from the breeder) when he came home i noticed a lump and i started freakin' out but the vet said its sometimes normal for a dog to get a lump where the shot went! It last about 2 weeks!
[notify]
Miakoda

love me.

Barked: Thu Nov 30, '06 9:40am PST 
thank you all for your posts! Mom was worried... I guess Mihkoa had 2 lumps removed from the same spot I have mine (and she had her rabies long before the bump). Mom was just worried that it would have to be removed like Mihkoa's had to be. Hmm, oh well! Mom will be watching me even more like a hawk now... we will see what happens! THANKS PUPS!! You ROCK!

Miakoda
[notify]
Lucy

Rub my belly!

Barked: Thu Nov 30, '06 4:54pm PST 
OOO! We got the same thing! And the vet told us the same thing, it's normal and will only last a few weeks, Elvis' lasted almost a year!!
So now it is on his chart and whenever he needs that shot they make sure to give him one from a different company(?) so he won't have the same reaction. So make sure if it lasts longer than a few weeks to keep note of it in his records so they won't give him the same one next time.
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Thu Nov 30, '06 4:54pm PST 
If it's been 3 weeks, you may want to have your vet check it. It sounds like a vaccine reaction which sometimes happens when dogs get shots. It should have gone away before now. It is not normal for dogs to have a vaccine reaction, and the more they are reported to the drug companies the safer they can make our pets vaccinations/medications. Here are several types of vaccine reactions.
Dogs can have three different types of vaccine reactions:
1. Anaphylactice response—what we like to call the collapsing puppy syndrome. This happens less than two percent of the time and is usually within ten to fifteen minutes.
2. Allergic response—with this reaction, the eyelids, nose, lips, and face puff up and the dogs get lumps (hives) all over their body. This reaction can occur within fifteen to thirty minutes, one to two hours later, or six to eight hours later. This reaction usually responds very well to benadryl.
3. Delayed cellular response—with this reaction, dogs get a lump on their body where the vaccine was given. This lump may occur within one to three weeks of the vaccination, is usually non-painful and may take one to two weeks to go away.

Edited by author Thu Nov 30, '06 4:55pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3