GO!

neutering a 4 year old?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bailey Boo

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 6:33pm PST 
Is it still beneficial to get my little lhasa fixed eventhough he is almost 4? I didn't do it before as one of his brothers died of that brach. breathing difficulty.
thanks
[notify]
♥Lenn- on♥

How could you- not LOVE this- face???

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 6:39pm PST 
Its definetly beneficial for him no matter what his age. The problem with intact males is that its not a matter of if they will have prostate problems or testicular problems, its a matter of when. Make sure your vet does bloodwork before surgery to make sure you are metabolically stable enough to handle surgery, and for precaution always have your vet put in an IV catheter. If your vet resists INSIST on it or find another vet. During an anesthetic emergency most drugs must be given IV and finding a vein when/if a dog is in crisis can be very hard (trust me..i've been a vet tech for 6 years) Good luck with your decision, i hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.
[notify]
Windy CD CGC TDI

Ethics Matter!

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 7:00pm PST 
Yes, it is beneficial at this age (and any age, for that matter). If you are concerned about having your dog put under for the surgery, get blood tests done beforehand.
[notify]

Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 7:23pm PST 
In addition to pre-anesthetic blood work, also ask your vet about how they monitor their anesthetized patients during AND after surgery. Look for ones that have monitoring equipment (a "Pulse Ox" machine). Also ask if they are recovered in an area where they are closely monitored and not in a cage in the back. Your vet will likely want to take extra precautions if you alert him to the littermate's problem.
[notify]
♥Lenn- on♥

How could you- not LOVE this- face???

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 7:53pm PST 
I'm confused, I just looked at the OP's page and it says a 2 year old Lhasa, but the post says 4 years. Either way, please neuter.
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 8:07pm PST 
I was neutered at the age of 5 before being adopted by my Mommy and Daddy. I did just fine. My death had nothing to do with prostate or testicular cancer either.
I say do the neuter thing....
[notify]
Ch. OTCh Miss Ginger's Fancy

I am very Fancy.

Barked: Sat Nov 25, '06 8:11pm PST 
Yep, your vet can do a pre-anesthetic blood panel to check that all is normal. A dog can be altered at nearly any age, but after ten years old is considered pushing it. Go for it. The vet would not do it unless you were absolutely able to handle the surgery and anesthesia.
[notify]
Bailey Boo

Barked: Sun Nov 26, '06 12:27pm PST 
My Lhasa is 3 not sure why it says 2 on here. He will be 4 on Christmas day. Thanks for all the replies. I will alert the vet to his condition before we go ahead.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sun Nov 26, '06 1:31pm PST 
I was neutered at about 5 years old. Yes it does have a positive effect!
[notify]