GO!

Powdery poop?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

I'm still a- baby.. right?

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 1:15pm PST 
Has anyone had a dog that had this? Where their poop comes out all dry and powdery and crumbles?

What causes is this?

Maggie has an appointment at the vet tomorrow.. but in the meantime.. I'd like to know.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

daisybarkett.com

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 1:17pm PST 
That would be from super premium food or raw feeding. At least in my own experience!
[notify]
Sammy- ♥ - KABX

Got Balls?

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 1:17pm PST 
Wierd.... haha, sorry no helpful information, but let us know what you find out so if it ever happens to us we will know what it is! Good luck!
[notify]

Maggie

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 1:26pm PST 
Daisy Mae.. so it's a "good" thing?
[notify]
Daisy Mae

daisybarkett.com

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 1:28pm PST 
Yes for the dogs we knew who had it it was a good thing cuase it meant their body was using all it could from the food.
:0)
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 1:35pm PST 
YAY! That makes me soooooo happy! OH DOG!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I was so worried.. but I'd take powder poop anyday over the runs! BOL!!!!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 2:04pm PST 
Yep! Jasper gets powder poop from time to time. smile
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 2:14pm PST 
We used to feed some raw, and before we knew better years and years ago, would see what you describe if our pups ate chicken bones. (yes, we certainly don't do that any more) We like to think the premium food is the likely culprit.

Pokie & mom
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 2:20pm PST 
So it comes out already powdery? I thought it normally turned powdery within a day or two of having come out. Huh!
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 2:21pm PST 
Hey Maggie, sounds like you may be getting a little too much dietary fiber -- whether that's coming from raw bone or somewhere else -- in comparison to how much digestible matter you're taking in. My girls are raw fed and powdery poops come from too high of a bone to meat/organ ratio.

Really firm poops are great, but powdery is not something to aim for. If you're including a lot of extra fiber in the form of edible raw bone or veggies I'd cut back. If it's a kibble resulting in this, well, first feel special that you found a kibble that has this effect on it's own (what is it?) and second, you might want to think about adding some 'extras' or a kibble rotation or mixture that will get your poops back to very firm but not crumbly.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2