GO!

Urinary Incontinence in young female dog

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tatum

Take me to the- river...

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 4:03pm PST 
Tatum has recently developed a problem where she pees in her sleep (usually a couple times a week). It's not ever just a little, she goes completely. I can't scold her for it because she has no idea that she's doing it.
She will be 4 years old next month (so I know it isn't old age) , and was spayed at 6 months old.
I have been trying to do research to find out why this is happening but there seem to be so many possibilities. I do not think she has a urinary tract infection because I have another dog with recurrent UTI's and there's usually a strong odor associated with it (as well as frequent urination).
I read somewhere that bladder infections could be associated with a high protein diet. I didn't know if there was any truth to this or not. She has been on Innova Evo for a little while and the onset of this problem was around the same time as the food switch. She is being switched back to Timberwolf Organics Dakota Bison, as it has become available to me again.
I have also heard of hormonal issues, being spayed too early and diabetes causing this.
Has anyone ever experienced this before? Other than this issue she is totally healthy, a perfect weight, gorgeous coat, no health problems. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice or experiences to share.
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 4:13pm PST 
I had that problem also, but when Mom took me to the vet and ruled out everything, the vet informed her that spayed females sometimes lose estrogen. The vet put me on estrogen and I take 2 pills a week and I haven't had an accident while I sleep.

I would rule everything out first and then talk to your vet, this maybe the cause.

Nadiya doesn't want to wear Doggie Depends BOL!

Edited by author Fri Oct 13, '06 4:15pm PST

[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 5:13pm PST 
In elderly dogs or after a dog is spayed, "lower estrogen levels can also lead to a loss of muscle tone in the bladder, which can then result in what is referred to as "spay incontinence". Urinary incontinence can also be a symptom of underlying conditions like diabetes, bladder infections and kidney disease. In any case, you should take your dog to the veterinarian to determine the exact cause. "

I grabbed this excerpt off of this site. http://www.pedigree.com/dogsandpuppies/senior dogs/illnesses/common diseases in older dogs urinary incontinence.asp

The site also has some good ideas about what to tell the vet.
My cousin's dog has this exact same problem, starting at 5, and she was treated with medication which fixed her up just fine.

Edited by author Fri Oct 13, '06 5:14pm PST

[notify]

Skye

For Rio:Cysts Be- Gone~Wellness- for ALL

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 8:23pm PST 
I had this same problem, and have been taking Proin for about 2 years. I still occaisionally leak in my sleep a little--maybe a couple of times every 6 months or so--, but not the flooding that I did before I started taking the medication. (I also have to eat a prescription food, and take Vitamin C every day because I get struvite crystals in my urine that cause a UTI.) This is a pretty common thing for spayed dogs, and your vet can prescribe medicine that will really help.
[notify]
(Cptn)- Morgan our- sweet angel

Girls can be- Captains too

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 8:27pm PST 
I had the same problem too and was prescribed proin just like Skye. No problems now for 3 years. I used to pee in my sleep and completely empty my bladder. Again, they thought it was from my spay/neuter surgery too. Hope this helps!!
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 8:47pm PST 
Proin for me too, but we also had to have a booty tuck.

I had a hooded vulva and it caused the urine to pool inside and would come out when I slept.

It is in my diary all about it, if you want to learn more, or p-mail me!
Tatum

Take me to the- river...

Barked: Sat Oct 14, '06 12:06pm PST 
Hey everyone, thanks for all of your great responses. I knew I had Tatum on pet insurance for a reason! =)
For those of you that give estrogen pills, do you get it from the vet or a compounding pharmacy?
What exactly is Proin? Is it a hormone or synthetic substance or what?
I guess we'll be going in for a vet visit next week and see if we can't get to the bottom of this.
[notify]
Jena, always- in our- hearts

Million dollar- doggie

Barked: Sat Oct 14, '06 12:35pm PST 
I had the same problem starting around the time I was 3. Moms took me to the vet to rule out any medical problems (UTI, kidney problems, etc.) and behavoiral reasons. The vet said that sometimes after spay surgery (although I was spayed at about 6 months, like you) a female dog can have trouble with a muscle that controls access from the bladder to the vagina (dogs don't have a seperate urethra like humans.) I was put on medication which moms can't remember the name of, and took it for two years. I've been off of it for two years and am fine now. Good luck!
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Sat Oct 14, '06 5:54pm PST 
Tatum, we get our estrogen from the vet, it really isn't that expensive. It's called DES and it 1mg.
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Mon Oct 16, '06 9:17am PST 
Proin

It somehow helps the sympathetic system to keep the muscles from releasing.

It really does work, but it isn't a hormone.
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2