GO!

Recovery after luxating patella surgery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lexey,- C.D.X.,- G.N., R.E.,- C.G

When I grow up I- want to be a- doberman

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 6:22pm PST 
My dog had luxating patella surgery on both knees 3 weeks ago and is not using her right leg much. She is also not sitting or lying like she use to. She is doing more of a puppy sit where she is sitting on her left hip and both legs off to her right.
For those of you who have had this surgery; how long was it before your dog started putting weight back on their legs? Did your dog sit and lay differently then before the surgery? When did you start exercising their legs?

Thanks,

Lexey and her Mommy

Edited by author Fri Oct 6, '06 6:49pm PST

[notify]
Meeko

our little- boston- TERROR!!!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 10:10pm PST 
just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery!!! i was diagnosed with bi-lateral luxating patella's. so far i haven't run into any problems. mommy is always nervous as i love to run & jump. i have broken my leg in 2 places already...i did this when i was 3 months old : ( the vet told mommy that me breaking my leg had nothing to do with the patella's.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:02pm PST 
Thanks, Today I had a good day. For the first time I sat like I use to before the surgery!!
[notify]

Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:09pm PST 
Thats so good Lexey keep up the good work
[notify]
Indiana- Jones, CGC,- ThD

Forever loved,- forever missed.

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:42pm PST 
Don't worry!! I had a luxating patella when I was young and have to have surgery on it. It was several MONTHS before I put full weight on it and ran like I did, and for the first few weeks I did not put weight on it all. Mom and Dad took me swimming alot and that helped alot. Also, Mom took me on long walks and then, after I built up my strength, long jogs Even though I did not want to go a lot of the time and wanted to just not move at all, she made me go. It took some time but I was back to normal after about 6 months.

That is why it was so devasting when my sister Kiona accidentally crashed into me a year after my surgery and the leg that I had the luxating patella on was badly broken. Sigh! Now, several years later, I am all healed again with the same physical therapy routine but my leg will prbably never be the same as it was. BUT - it takes a long time but it will gte better! Start adding glucosomine and chondritin powder, too! Good luck!!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:47pm PST 
Gosh, I did not even answer your questions! Yes, I sat weird - and I only had one knee done! I still sort of gently "place" my tush down when I sit, and shove my bad leg out to the side. I did not put weight on my leg for 3 weeks, at least. Mom and Dad started me swimming as soon as my cast came off (after 2 weeks, I believe), and mom did not start taking me on walks until about a month after the surgery, no jogging for about 1.5-2 months after the surgery, and no dog park for 3 months. My sister Kiona hated that!

Of course, always ask your vet. As you pup had double knee surgery, things will progess more slowly, probably.

Barked: Tue Oct 10, '06 2:12pm PST 
Thank you so much for your response that takes a load off of me to hear your dog is doing the same thing Lexey is. I have been such a worried mom that I am sure my vet is getting annoyed. lol.

Where did you take your dog swimming? My vet did recomend that. She told me since my dog is so little I can put her in the bathtub. I tried that once and Lexey was just tall enougth that she could scrap her nails on the bottom of the tub, then she paniced and it made her leg hurt and she held up her leg for two days after that. So I haven't tried it since.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 10, '06 3:25pm PST 
No problem! I took Indy swimming in two places- one was my in-laws pool and the other was at friend's swimming pool. (I have not looked at where you live- this may not be an option in the winter) I live in Florida and swimming your dogs in lakes down here is asking to eaten by a gator!

Indy did not like swimming in the pool, mind you- I put his long leash on and had to carry him in over to the center of the pool, where I could still stand. Then, I would let him go and he would try and swim to get out, but the leash kept him from reaching the sides, so he would sort of swim around me in the cicle.

He is 65 pounds, though, so I had to take him somewhere deep. Good luck!
Atticus

A Rough Tough- Cream Puff

Barked: Thu Oct 12, '06 12:16pm PST 
Atticus swam after his FHO surgery- and it did WONDERS for him. We have a place here in Lincoln called Ken-L Inn- your vet should be able to refer you to someone who can help.
Atticus physical therapist got in the little heated pool with him and swam him for brief intervals for a half hour, I think. He would swim for a couple minutes, then rest. Swim for a few minutes, then rest. We did this twice a week for two months. It really helped him.
We had a different surgery- but I wanted to offer you some encouragement because I know how tough it can be on you when your little one is sick. It takes time- Atti could not put ANY pressure AT ALL on that leg for a little over a week after surgery....then he began to use it a little....he sat gingerly for awhile...but now he is a little sass master. Running around after squirrels.
So, hugs to you- stay strong! I know it can be worrisome- and ask your vet for a reference-they should know if there is a hydrotherapist in the area. I highly recommend it!
[notify]
Parker

Canine Executive- Officer

Barked: Thu Oct 12, '06 12:44pm PST 
Hey Lexie! Sorry I'm late on this... How are you doing now? I went to hydrotherapy at a doggy physical therapist's after my luxating patella surgery. I still sit funny- like a person. My seat bones on the ground, my legs kinda funky. I did it before I started luxating my patellas, tho. I was only 6 1/2 months when I had the surgery so I healed super duper quick, only a few weeks. I hope you're doing better!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2